Olympus Stylus 1030 SW Digital Camera

Mark_Schilling

Paddler
It all looks quite 'purple' to me - not sure if that's straight out of the camera or if there has been something happen in the conversion by YouTube etc. I'd guess it's a white balance setting that should be pretty easy to change - look for a setting that allows you to change between different primary light sources (ie direct sun, overcast, fluorescent, incandescent etc.). Or, your camera may allow you to 'manually' adjust the white balance of the camera before you start to record video.

As for the audio 'hum', it's most likely just the camera recording its own noise. You probably don't hear it normally as you're at least a foot away from the camera under normal operation. Most video editing software allows you to separate the audio and video tracks or adjust the audio level, or you can simply 'mix' with music to drown out any audible noise. The amount of noise will vary between cameras but I think most point and shoot digital cameras will have some degree of noise recorded on the audio track.

gnarlydog

Paddler
Olympus SW1030 are

one of the best point and shoot options on the water.
Obviously can't be compared to a DSLR but you would not be able to keep one in the pocket of a PFD.
If you are after action pix on the water probably only the new Panasonic TS1 could rival the Olympus.
Occasionally they fail and eventually they die (after 3 years of on water use).
If your pix from an Olympus SW 1030 are average, blame yourself not the camera.
If you don't believe my statement than check theseresults with mostly SW1030 (I have 3...) http://www.flickr.com/photos/gnarlydog/sets/72157600524255302/

Telkwa

Paddler
gnarly -
What is that orange thing on your paddle? Is that a bug?!? :shock:

DarrenM

Paddler
Well... my 1030 just crapped out on me yesterday. Half way through our Greek vacation :cry:
I was out paddling and snorkeling dove down about 4 feet and it must have leaked or something because now the lcd doesn't work! I can can still take pics.... Just cant see what Im taking.

I wonder if I should deal with Olympus or where I bought it?

Andy_Ferguson

Paddler
That sucks...What am I supposed to do at work now? I need my Greece fix!

DarrenM said:
Well... my 1030 just crapped out on me yesterday. Half way through our Greek vacation :cry:
I was out paddling and snorkeling dove down about 4 feet and it must have leaked or something because now the lcd doesn't work! I can can still take pics.... Just cant see what Im taking.

I wonder if I should deal with Olympus or where I bought it?

DarrenM

Paddler
Tamra has her camera, and I can still use this one. Just don't know what I got until I upload them to my laptop....

gnarlydog

Paddler
Darren, once you get back from Greece send it to the authorized Olympus repair centre and stress the point that despite your best care the camera still leaked.
I am currently having mine replaced under warranty.
A kayak instructor that I know had 5 (!) replaced under warranty till warranty ran out after a year...
Not your fault, crappy model (other Olympus waterproof ones are actually good)

SpaceCowboy

Paddler
Cant speak to the camera in question, but I have an Olympus StylusTough-DS8000. I use it for paddling, scuba-diving (in a waterproof housing) and everything else.

The only complaint I have so far (have owned it for 6 months) is that I have been a canon customer for years, and the Olympus frustrates me in its auto-focus speed and anti-vibration correction. For quick pics during motion it sucks.