Online VHF course, August 24, 2021

cougarmeat

Paddler
Is this a One Time license or is it something that needs to be renewed every year? As far as I know, we don’t require a class/license in the USA but it would be handy to know “the rules” when Canada finally opens her paddling waters again. I’m sure I could learn a lot from knowledgable club members located closer to the ocean. But I live in the middle of High Desert country, I have to “read the manual” each year just to remember how to program channels and switch to WX broadcasts.

kayakwriter

Administrator
Is this a One Time license or is it something that needs to be renewed every year? As far as I know, we don’t require a class/license in the USA but it would be handy to know “the rules” when Canada finally opens her paddling waters again. I’m sure I could learn a lot from knowledgable club members located closer to the ocean. But I live in the middle of High Desert country, I have to “read the manual” each year just to remember how to program channels and switch to WX broadcasts.
It's valid for life. (I originally got mine back in the mid 90s and technically didn't need to renew it. But the technology changed massively with the introduction of DSC (Digital Selective Calling), so I re-certed, and got hooked enough to become an instructor.)

We've had several American paddlers take our online course so they could be completely up to speed when paddling in Canadian waters.