• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Packing for trips

Wow--that is TINY. Also expensive. But I might have to consider it at that size.

Bigger boat not in the offing anytime soon. ;-) Given that I only paddle it in the lakes, it seems like a waste of money to get into it for too much. When I paddle in the ocean (up at Vancouver Island, the San Juans, etc.), I rent.

pawsplus said:
Someone needs to invent a thermarest that doesn't take up so much space! I can't be without it, but OMG those things are so big.

I use an Exped Synmat, and it is tiny. And for whatever reason, it seems to work better with my lower back issues than a thermarest.

Assuming your Thermarest is one that is made of a material that doesn't absorb water, that would be something you strap on the back deck. A a light item, it isn't much of a center of gravity issue. Maybe wrap in a garbage bag to keep most of the water off it.

Peter-CKM said:
Assuming your Thermarest is one that is made of a material that doesn't absorb water, that would be something you strap on the back deck. A a light item, it isn't much of a center of gravity issue. Maybe wrap in a garbage bag to keep most of the water off it.
Yes--I think I'll do that this time around., because it is really hard to get my other stuff in around the thing. God forbid I should capsize and have to do a cowboy scramble to get back in the boat though!

I'll get one of the tiny ones in time for my trip next summer.

Well, Amazon rocks. For just $3.99 they can get that pad to me TOMORROW. In time for THIS trip. So I bought one.

It's an amazing, and sometimes scary, world. ;-)

pawsplus said:
Well, Amazon rocks. For just $3.99 they can get that pad to me TOMORROW. In time for THIS trip. So I bought one.

It's an amazing, and sometimes scary, world. ;-)
Very cool. Maybe the first rule of kayak campery is that you can never be too comfortable sleeping on the ground. The old one is a loaner, or a yoga pad ... yadda, yadda, yadda ...

Paws - I started out with many smaller bags and now I am trying to wean myself away from them and focus primarily on three main bags; one for food, one for clothes and one for camping gear. But I always have extra bags for toys like ham radio gear.

I also plan on having two of my smallest bags - maybe one filled with night clothes and the other with lunchtime energy bars or other small item. The idea is, I put a tether on the bag and push it to the bow (or stern) with my paddle. Then other bags go in. To unload, I pull on the line and that drags out the other bags along with the first one at the bow.

I know you have hatches and my kayak doesn't have bulkheads, but when I did have a hatch equipped boat, sometimes a bag would get stuck way up in the bow; hence the tether.

Also, I still have to pack my boat before I leave - just to see if it will fit. In addition, as I take stuff out - after the test packing - the I can put them in the car in stern, middle, bow groups for faster packing at launch point.

I try never to miss an opportunity to practice something - like pulling up a tarp even if I might not need it. When possible, I camp between trees and string the tarp to them. If I don't need the tarp, I can fold it up a bit on the suspension line.

I have oatmeal with lots of different nuts and dried fruit for breakfast, balance bars for lunch (but I'm starting to add bagels) and instant mashed potatoes and some kind of topping that's heated in a foil pouch for dinner.

It can get a little boring, but I'm out there to paddle, feel the ocean, be with nature - so food is just fuel. I'll eat a nice pizza when I get back.

My hatches are too small for big bags. My 20 's don't fit through the holes unless packed only half full! So smaller bags are what works in this boat.

Back