• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

paddle daytrips for newbies?

I would highly doubt it if anyone is going to make an assessment of your paddling abilities based on your physical appearance. I've known the people who run Ayla canoes for some time and have found them to be reasonable and rational people. But let's be clear here, I have no idea what was said to you or what you said to them (other than what you've said here) and have no idea why they would prohibit you from taking one of their rental boats on Pitt Lake. I suggest that if it's something that bothers you to call them and ask directly.

Anyhow, I don't see where there's much left to say about this matter -- perhaps we can get back to the topic at hand, which is where are good local locations for novices to go on a day trip.

re Hayward Lake

Hi all I'm a relatively new paddler & Hayward lake is a favorite (Dan has some good? pics of my wife & I there last year) it's also local. I've been reading this forum for a while & finally decided to join in.
Hayward Lake is lovely as is its neighbour Stave (but a little wilder)However last visit just last week BC Hydro have both lakes drained well down :cry: one awaiting snow melt, the other for seismic upgrades to Ruskin dam. In fact Hayward launch& shoreline was totally fenced off as they were/ are remodelling the launch area (new ramp) :p & beach area to cater for lower water levels over the next year whilst dam upgrades are in progress. For updated reports visit BC Hydro website.
http://www.bchydro.com/recreation/closu ... 12073.html
Didn't want anyone to have a wasted trip.

Dave, yes, absolutely. Had it been up to me, I would've dropped it several posts ago, and would have, had it not been for having my posts labeled as false (by you). Which they aren't, and I still maintain, with full justification, that if Ayla employees have treated me this way, with an arbitrary and baseless, ad-hoc restriction then they're liable to treat anybody this way.
Look, all I'm saying is, "this is what happened to me". Please don't denigrate my experiences as being somehow not worthy of being related to the other forum members.

Re: re Hayward Lake

Kermode said:
Hi all I'm a relatively new paddler & Hayward lake is a favorite (Dan has some good? pics of my wife & I there last year) it's also local. I've been reading this forum for a while & finally decided to join in.
Hayward Lake is lovely as is its neighbour Stave (but a little wilder)However last visit just last week BC Hydro have both lakes drained well down :cry: one awaiting snow melt, the other for seismic upgrades to Ruskin dam. In fact Hayward launch& shoreline was totally fenced off as they were/ are remodelling the launch area (new ramp) :p & beach area to cater for lower water levels over the next year whilst dam upgrades are in progress. For updated reports visit BC Hydro website.
http://www.bchydro.com/recreation/closu ... 12073.html
Didn't want anyone to have a wasted trip.

Welcome to the site and thanks for the information. I'm a tad embarrassed that I didn't think to check the BC Hydro site before I made the suggestion. I used to paddle Hayward a lot when I lived in Maple Ridge and checking the site was second nature before heading out. :oops:

Dan wrote : Anyhow, I don't see where there's much left to say about this matter -- perhaps we can get back to the topic at hand, which is where are good local locations for novices to go on a day trip.

Is that what this thread is about, I had forgotten

thankyou Kermode, as I was thinking of heading to Stave lake in the next few weeks, if anything I was expecting high water levels with all the snow melt this year.

When I first started Paddling I enjoyed Alouette lake and still due just be carefull of the wind as it picks up quickly and with out warning

8O 8O 8O Wow! In reference to Dan and Cyberhun's ordeal, noone wants to read that sort of crap. Maybe next time you guys can sort it out through PM's and let everyone know the results.

Stave & Hayward

thankyou Kermode, as I was thinking of heading to Stave lake in the next few weeks, if anything I was expecting high water levels with all the snow melt this year.

When I first started Paddling I enjoyed Alouette lake and still due just be carefull of the wind as it picks up quickly and with out warning

Hi again, Stave is still accessible, it is a week since I was there, so levels have may well have risen somewhat. Hayward is still LOW due to start operating again as far as water/ beach access is concerned around the 14th (I think) but as I said with reduced water levels, don't know by how much. For most of last year levels at Hayward were down by about 1 meter, but still quite useable. Almost certain you will still get out on Stave. I loved Stave but that wind can pick up pretty quickly & for a novice it can get a bit choppy.
Good luck!

I don't know Matt, I thought the entire discussion was entertaining. Thanks to Dan for clarifying the information.

Another place that I've found that is good for novices is Jones Lake near Chilliwack. I think there's a write up in the paddling locations section of this site. Jones Lake is not very big but it has spectacular background scenery.

Paddle Daytrips for Newbies

I am not so sure of Jones (Waleach Lake) for newbies. It's a gorgeous spot, well worth the climb up what used to be a rather bumpy road, but the winds can sometimes be more than anyone would want to deal with. I would guess the surrounding mountains contribute.
I know some experienced canoe paddlers who had a rather rough time of it and had to get off the water because some could make no headway. Canoes are more difficult to use in windy conditions, but for a new kayaker, the trip might be best made with others.
Chilliwack Lake gets a little windy, but seems not as bad.

If someone can transport their boat, then there is Nicomen Slough, which can be affected by tides, but should have quite high water by now.

Chehalis Lake, with a couple of forestry sites is also a nice spot. For some reason, (or no reason at all) I think that the winds are not as bad.

Again, it boat transport is no problem, Rolley Lake, really small, almost never too windy, Silvermere Lake just west of Mission if you like highway views (put in off Keystone Rd)

Re: Paddle Daytrips for Newbies

canoecat said:
Again, it boat transport is no problem, Rolley Lake, really small, almost never too windy, Silvermere Lake just west of Mission if you like highway views (put in off Keystone Rd)

As canoecat said, Rolley Lake is good also have a look at Whonnock Lake of 272nd they have a canoe club there. It too is pretty sheltered/ safe but small, good though for practice, messing around etc. Sticky muddy bottom though, a friend of mine lost his sandals a week or two ago!

Keystone doesn't front Silvermere Lake. It's Hayward St. & I'm not sure there is a put in for Silvermere Lake, best spot I can see is just by the "Welcome to Mission" sign on Lougheed Hwy., but it can be very busy and parking is right on the side of the Hwy. not good (or safe) for loading etc. I was always told Silvermere was a private lake for use only by those in the properties on its eastern shore (of course that may not be true). Also Genstar (developer) has bought up most if not all of the lakeside :cry: erected gates, installed huge concrete block barriers and has (as far as I can see) prohibited all access to the shoreline. :evil: there are notices all over the place regarding the dire cosequences for anyone who might transgress! The strip of land that lies between Silvermere & Stave River is slated for development by the same company access to this is from Lougheed Hwy or Hayward St. & has always been difficult (gated, marked private etc). If anyone has more accurate/ up to date info. I'd be interested.

Hi Kermode,
The times I have paddled Silvermere, we put in at a spot about 50m from the intersection of Hayward and Keystone. It seemed to be a sort of steps down a local "dump".
Anyway, you do not quite slide into the water. Around 2000, some property owners put up a sign near the "Welcome" sign claiming that the lake was private property. We decided to challenge that.
The north end is still First Nations land, I believe.
I am sure that I am not as up to date, because I was really shocked last fall on my last trip to the Lower Mainland. The amount of development in Mission!! Yikes!!
The canoe club at Whonnock Lake may still rent some old Coleman 15's (if they have not all sprung leaks) and have a some other keeled canoes which they use for a sometime summer Recreational Program. Don't know if it still runs, but maybe $10 for a 2 hour paddle two nights a week, including insurance. Not sure if they will do it every year.
I learned to paddle in those wretched Colemans, all 84 pounds with hogged keel, and wavy plastic!

Kermode wrote: some property owners put up a sign near the "Welcome" sign claiming that the lake was private property. We decided to challenge that.

Good for you for challenging that, I might be tempted to head out that way just for that. And going by the info about the lake from my books it is not a private lake.

As far as I can tell there is no public acess to Silvermere. It is all private. I remember reading that Genstar owns the lakebed but not the water????
There is a gate at the Keystone access and signs saying private property blahh blahh blath. On sunday I paddled the Stave river at Ruskin . Launch at the rec site below the dam. The river is at a huge flood right now and they are not letting to much water out of Hayward so its like a small lake right now. Even being flooded still couldn"t access Silvermere. Hayward is still really low.

Jill said:
As far as I can tell there is no public acess to Silvermere. It is all private. I remember reading that Genstar owns the lakebed but not the water????
There is a gate at the Keystone access and signs saying private property blahh blahh blath. On sunday I paddled the Stave river at Ruskin . Launch at the rec site below the dam. The river is at a huge flood right now and they are not letting to much water out of Hayward so its like a small lake right now. Even being flooded still couldn"t access Silvermere. Hayward is still really low.

Silvermere is a man-made lake that I'm 100% certain is privately owned by the Genstar Development Corp. A couple of years ago they tried to get the RCMP to charge people with trespassing if they didn't remove their docks from the water; something about insurance and liability. Of course, don't take my word for it, either call the City of Mission and find out the ownership status there or call Genstar. Heck, call 'em both.

The sort of news that Jill, Kermode and Andy_Ferguson write about Silvermere Lake sort of turns me into a screaming, FLAMING, POTTYMOUTH. The Lower Mainland needs more recreational access, not more gated, high income developments.
Does anyone know if, because there was public access before, if that can, or must be somehow maintained? I know that there is no prescription in BC, but maybe that only applies between privately held properties? BTW, I am definitely no lawyer.
I am willing to contact some people in the two canoe clubs, maybe they are aware of the situation, and might be willing to look further into it. It is certainly not a prime paddling destination, not a "club" trip in any sense, but has been paddled casually by members of both clubs.
I guess I am reacting to the principle of the thing, where either private land interests abrogate public access, or the situation where private interests like outfitters take destinations away from self guided groups, or, you just end up having to pay for what was once free to access ever more crowded recreational sites.

canoecat said:
The times I have paddled Silvermere, we put in at a spot about 50m from the intersection of Hayward and Keystone. It seemed to be a sort of steps down a local "dump".
Anyway, you do not quite slide into the water. Around 2000, some property owners put up a sign near the "Welcome" sign claiming that the lake was private property. We decided to challenge that.
The north end is still First Nations land, I believe.
Hi Canoecat, I looked for your put in tonight, but can't really see anything, in that area that would be suitable. There is a really marshy bit, that could be the place but really difficult access. Don't think I'd try it!
The sign you mentioned about the lake being private is still there, but the biggy is Genstar, they have a signs in a few places indicating that there are "hidden hazards" (on the land) fines of $2000 for transgressors etc, etc. that's at the North end (Hayward St) access. As someone said it's not really a prime site to kayak, but I agree about the "principle". There is a lot more going on in the whole Silverdale area with Genstar but that's getting off topic. BTW canoecat what was the result of your challenge & who did you contact. On a happier note I saw tonight that Hayward lake is now full again :p but not sure yet if Hydo have completed their work around the boat launch/ beach. They hadn't on Tuesday. Respect to Hydo :p A lot of work to insure the public can still enjoy a great facility.

Lionel_S wrote: "I don't know Matt, I thought the entire discussion was entertaining. Thanks to Dan for clarifying the information"

I suppose you're right...never have thought things through too clearly. That reality TV stuff just doesn't sit right with me, and Dan's banter seemed to float in the same boat....Cheers to cyberhun for at least standing up for himself under Dan's thumb.

Don't you know there's no such thing as an expert Dan???? Get a grip. :D :D :D :D ....Felt good to finally get that out after reading all your crap Dan.

dude, chill out already. why are you ragging on the guy who is correcting wrong info? go for a paddle man.

long time lurker here on this site and want to say thanks to all of you guys who make this place happen.

Welcome to the site WCW.

Matt, as Dan is the father of this place it is not surprising that he is paternalistic about the information that is presented. Dan does not need me to defend him, but it bears stating that this website is an excellent source of information about paddling (and other arcane subjects) and I appreciate the quality that goes in to what is presented. If Cyberhun feels slighted by what was stated in response to some of his posts then he might think about censoring himself.

Personally, 90% of my posts are shit, but at least it is generally of the non-argumentative type of shit.

Brad

Ummmm, what was the subject again? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think it was about paddling and finding cool places for newbies and others was it not? :p :p :p

So maybe lets cut the mudslinging - there's enough of that sludge on the bottom of the Fraser River 8) 8)

Back