• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Paddler's delight

Delightful scene

Sorry about that; I'll try getting that picture uploaded again :cry:
105_Ski_Doos_002_1.jpg

I share your joy, but I can't help but start making plans in my head. Could I glass over the top of one and make a surf yak? Could I take apart one of my bikes and make a peddle craft? Big amas for a trashy version of keybirds sail rig? A really cool and dangerous sled for the local ski area? It would be a shame to have all that expensive glass go to waste.

Oldpro said:
Here's a scene sure to delight many a paddler!

Oldpro

Not just paddlers, that sight also makes many power boaters happy, at least those who hate those machines.

If you've never tried one I can almost guarantee you'll be giggling like a school girl first time you crack the throttle - that is - if you can keep the thing upright and not find the jet blasting your nethers as you get towed around on your belly :shock: :lol:

I'll admit they're loud, obtrusive and often badly piloted but they really can be a ton of fun, in a not so 'Politically Correct' way. :twisted:

daniel

I have to agree. I rented one for a day once in the Okanagan and had an absolute blast -- they're a whole lot of fun -- but most of the time I find the operators of these craft to be a bit on the annoying and wreckless side.

Daniel, there's two types of these craft -- a jet ski (which sounds like what you're referring to) is the type that you stand up on, you start out in the water, build up some speed and then stand up. The other type, is more like a motorcycle that you start out sitting on -- this is the type that I think is more fun -- it's also the more popular of the two types.

I've always thought it would be cool to rack one out for camping.

Actually I think the pic is a sad reflection on modern society & it's like many things, the item itself is quite innocuous, but it's when they get into the hands of those who are irresponsible & often have no regard for others. :roll:
Personally I've always fancied a go on one but never actually made it, in fact I was considering one of those before we went the kayak route. As someone else noted seems a shame to see all that "glass" piled up awaiting :?: What a wasteful, throw away society we have become.
btw Elmo... how come your an expert on schoolgirl giggles? :wink:

Kermode said:
btw Elmo... how come your an expert on schoolgirl giggles? :wink:

are you sure we need to know that? :eek: :wink:

i know an older gent who has one of those sit-on type sea-doos. (he also bought a cedarstrip canoe from me.) he's been back and forth to the island a few times, and all over Howe Sound, on it. he really enjoys it. they're not for me, but if the operater is responsible, i say 'let them have their fun.' but, if the operater is an irresponsible a$$, to the junk pile with 'em!
{i bet you could get some nicely curved bulkheads off one of those hulls!}

Daren........

Frankly I've seen a lot more idiotic behavior from OPERATORS of 16+ ft powerboats than from jetskis,which are yet to bother me personally on the water. Especially annoying the drunk powerboaters that bring boomboxes and ridiculous amounts of beer to the campsite.

DarenN said:
are you sure we need to know that? :eek: :wink:
Yeah... thinking about it, maybe you're right :shock:

DarenN said:
............ but if the operater is responsible, i say 'let them have their fun.' but, if the operater is an irresponsible a$$, to the junk pile with 'em!
Well said, couldn't agree more Daren!

Seems kind of ironic that the only time I was ever swamped by boat wake (and I've crossed from West Van to Granville Island many times and had to deal with lots of boat wakes) was when the CG Osprey was leaving its base at the Burrard Bridge at high speed, presumably on a rescue mission.

I agree that they look like fun and if used by responsible people are not a big problem. In my area the biggest issue seems to be that they congregate at parks and swimming areas on local lakes. Often they blast around in circles immediatly offshore making so much noise and wake that is hard to enjoy lunch or a swim. They are so fast they could be a half mile away in seconds, yet they seem mentaly tethered within 100 feet of shore.

Back