paddles

tim_in_bc

Paddler
When I bought my kayak I bought an carbon fibre touring paddle meant for low angle paddling. I want to buy an alternative paddle rather than a cheap second and though buying a more agressive high angle paddle would be the way to go.

Anyone recommend a high angle paddle I might want to look at?

idealmilk

I would go for a wing paddle if you want a bit of variety and want to get the most out of your waterline - there are plenty out there to choose from but you will need to spend a lot of time trying them out. They require a different paddling style (so the learning curve is steep, but worth it) - straight arms and the blades get lift by 'flying' out from the kayak - feels awkward at first but once you relax into them you really notice the extra energy conversion. They are more efficient than ordinary paddles but they are pigs when it comes to some support strokes especially anything that uses the back of the blade - forget sculling for support. I use a hybrid, the Lendal Kinetic Wing which is a bit on the heavy but merges the advantages of a Kinetic Slalom paddle (maneouverability) with the dimension of a touring blade (long and thin) and the wing cross section(bouyant and great lift). Added advantage is the foam core which slightly compensates for the weight and is very bouyant - i popped out of the water the first time i tried rolling with them!!!

Mark_Schilling

Paddler
idealmilk said:
I would go for a wing paddle if you want a bit of variety and want to get the most out of your waterline ... but they are pigs when it comes to some support strokes especially anything that uses the back of the blade - forget sculling for support.
Great advise - thanks! You even answered my questions before I asked them (mainly regarding support strokes - I had wondered how useful they'd be in those situations).

fester

Paddler
Several people I paddle with regularely use werner ikelos foam core cranks at 210 or 215. They seem to be quite light and bouyant. Everyone I know that has bought one is glad they did. The only real disadvantage that I'm aware of is the blades may not hold up to abuse as well as something heavier like a lendal carbon/nylon. I've been using a nordcapp crank in n12 carbon for six years and the blades are very durable. It's really heavy by comparison but so is my boat. Werner has very good product support and an excellent warranty policy. Lendal offers NO warranty so you have to go to your retailer if you have a problem. There is a spine on the back side of lendal blades which makes them less efficient than Werners when low bracing