• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Paddletrip in July

westcoastwill

Paddler
Last summer, i met Mark and Art and his gang in the Broken Group, it was great to meet new friends from westcoastpaddler.com, i really would like to do it this year again:

anybody interested in a paddle trip between July 6th and 12th? :wink:

At the moment, Mark and me are talking about a long weekend in the Gulf Islands, but another option would be the Deer Group or maybe even Clayoquot sound!

servus,

:p

Willi

I can do a long weekend type thing, would love to get back out to the gulf Islands!

XL Mark

p.s Andreas I have sent you a p.m

How about some kind of "summer-getting-together" from July 6th to July 8th?
:p

I am aiming for the Deer Group the week later. 8)

servus

Willi

I note the suggestion of a get-together July 6 to July 8, possibly in the Gulf Islands.

What about Wallace Island, the "Paddler's Paradise"?

Sludge wrote: How about some kind of "summer-getting-together" from July 6th to July 8th?

sounds do-able for me.

Wallace Island is one of our favourite stops in Trincomali Channel! Its a gorgeous location to camp in the meadow, there's the 'shack' to explore (if you bring your hand woodworking tools you can add to the memories accumulated there) and a super island to explore on foot or by kayak.

Helen said:
Wallace Island is one of our favourite stops in Trincomali Channel! Its a gorgeous location to camp in the meadow, there's the 'shack' to explore (if you bring your hand woodworking tools you can add to the memories accumulated there) and a super island to explore on foot or by kayak.

Does that mean you'll join us on the trip, if it happens? :wink:

If Jolie is available and we can get away from work (or take it with us :wink: ) it's a distinct possibility. Watching us creep over the reef with our 6' keel is always entertaining. That's not an easy cove to get in and out of, but it is a challenge we really enjoy. Chris gets a stiff drink after we get tied up!

I have been on Wallace two times allready, but never on Portland, Rum or D`Arcy.

After following all the posts about Portland, i would love to go to the inner islands (as mentioned on Parks Canada web site), maybe set up base camp on Portland and do daytrips or islandhopping.

Would Sidney spit be another option for a base camp?

What do you think, guys?

:wink:

servus

Willi

A week long kayak vacation in the islands? :) That sounds so good, but sounds so advanced... I would love to join if I have more skill to keep up with you guys.

Maybe next year.

hi willi,

i'm willing to go to any of the gulf island---it is your vacation and i have no problem following your travel plan.
but to answer your question:
as mentioned many times already, portland is pretty hard to beat for it's location and it's arbutus campground.
lots of peolpe told me that sidney spit is nice but in the summer months packed with party people.....
no idea about d'arcy and rum island.......

i think for day trips and as a base camp portland is maybe the best one.

Andreas wrote: I'm willing to go to any of the gulf island---it is your vacation and i have no problem following your travel plan.
I second that.

As Andreas said, it's your call Willi - you're travelling a long distance to come here so we'll go where you want.

But in my opinion, Portland Island is too close. If I'm going to spend 45 minutes loading my boat, I'd prefer to get farther away from the city and all the marine traffic, rather than just end up unloading the boat an hour later. It's literally in the middle of ferry routes and there's lots of powerboat traffic, so you don't have much chance of seeing larger marine mammals etc. I've never been to Sidney Island for an overnight trip in the summer, largely because it is the island of choice for anyone with a powerboat. It's 5km from Sidney and looks right back at the city, and the sandy beach makes it perfect for summertime powerboat parties.

D'Arcy is nice; a little farther away from any other islands to camp on, and while there's a nice trail around the island and lots of history, there's not a lot to explore from a boat. Rum Island is probably one of my favourites, as it's right in Haro Strait so you see the larger ships once in a while, and it's also a common place for whale sightings.

But, in my mind, all of these islands pale in comparison to Wallace Island. There are lots of other islands around there to explore, and it's quite far from any ferry routes so the only marine traffic you get is larger pleasure craft and the occasional tug and tow down Trincomali Channel. It's only about 7.5km to paddle to another great camping spot - Dionisio Park at the north end of Galiano Island. Plus you can camp at Blackberry Point on Valdes Island (11.5km) or go a little further (about 20km) up to Pirates Cove on DeCourcy Island.

Wallace is about a 40km paddle from Swartz Bay but there are other ways of getting there - drive to the north end of Saltspring (from which it's only a few km paddle) or paddle east about 11 km from Chemainus, on Vancouver Island. It's also a nice day-paddle distance from getting a burger in Montague Harbour, or any number of other great places to paddle.

OK, now you have a few different opinions. :wink:

Is it a day paddle from Wallace to the 50's style ice cream parlour at Telegraph Harbour Marina on Thetis? They make incredible pizza also...

I've used the CG on the N tip of Wallace, which is pretty much a "kayaks and canoes only" landing area, having hardened tent sites and more solitude than the main site near the Government Dock. Except for sailboats, I suspect the site on the N end might suit better, though there are not many tent sites there.

Lovely place, however.

Back