• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Paddling SOLO

Johan

Paddler
As much as I love paddling in a group, kayaking solo is a must for me. Sometimes for a day, sometimes for a week, always a very special experience.

Many of you have a few years on me, and have logged many more miles on this coast. So my question to you is this:

When paddling solo, what extra precautions do you take? How does your preparation and gear differ from a group trip? What eventualities do you plan for when going solo?

I am aware this is a much debated issue, but I really would like to get your feedback on it!

Johan,

I also have done quite a bit of solo paddling, although I really enjoy the company of others and far, far prefer to paddle with two or three others (but not with large groups!).

There is almost no difference in my preparation or equipment paddling solo versus with a group. I figure I need to be almost totally self-sufficient on the water whether alone or with others in terms of self-rescue, etc., so that is the same. Camping and routefinding (piloting/navigating) is largely the same, which I do independently even if with a group, for redundancy if we get in a bind.

The principal difference is that I am more weather-conscious and more conservative in route choice when alone. With others around, I figure I have some backup in case the unexpected occurs (something my self rescue and boat control can not handle) and I get separated from my boat, or become cast on a lee shore.

I have, many times, found that some of my usual companions have been less prepared or able than they should be, and it seems they rely on me for help, so that having them around to help me is a non-starter.

Mind, I am not a highly skilled paddler, just a careful and judicious one.

Probably the hardest attribute to build, yet the most important if you paddle solo is good judgement. And, how do you develop that? Well, by skating on the brink of trouble so you understand and know your own limits better; and by learning from your own mistakes and those of others. The upshot is that a solo paddler with good skills might make a really bad decision that causes him/her grief; a paddler with poor skills but good judgement might be able to avoid a bad situation entirely, perhaps by staying on the beach; perhaps by altering choice of route.

If you have not read it yet, Deep Trouble, by Gronseth and Broze, is a good way to gain experience vicariously.

So far I have done few day trips (on the ocean), so my response is focused on longer trips. I normally carry extra gear if solo (mind you I have a big boat)
-2 radios
-wetsuit & drysuit
-2 stoves (or one trangia)
-foam paddle float & stirrup
-first aid kit & repair kit
-extra food; extra fuel; extra days allowed
-backup charts
-folding saw, extra knife, extra rope

If in a group:
-just one radio
-either wetsuit or drysuit
-1 stove
-inflatable paddle float
-smaller or none repair/first aid

I second what ADave says about choices.

I don't do too much differently, just radio, immersion gear, self recovery gear and an extra paddle. I'm usually much more attentive to weather forecasts, tides and currents on solo trips than I am on group trips. If there's a remote possibility I could be in danger, I'll usually try to steer clear of the affected area or stay off the water.

Camping gear seems to remain constant for solo and group paddling - I tend to enjoy being self contained. Group paddling usually means more alcohol than solo. :)

-Rich

nootka said:
I normally carry extra gear if solo (mind you I have a big boat)
-2 radios
-wetsuit & drysuit
-2 stoves (or one trangia)
-foam paddle float & stirrup
-first aid kit & repair kit
-extra food; extra fuel; extra days allowed
-backup charts
-folding saw, extra knife, extra rope
Gear solo is the same as with a group, for me (also in a large boat). I only take one VHF, one set of charts (and mapping GPS), one dry suit (or farmer john/dry top combo), one inflatable paddle float (double chamber), one white gas stove (and DarenN's Mk II wood burning stove), and extra food, fuel (2 days worth for longer trips; one day for overnighters). First aid kit and repair kit go on every trip, day or extended overnight. Ditto his last line of items (except saw). On multidays, I take the saw and a hatchet ... which mostly gets used for pounding stakes. :wink: :roll: Oh, yeah, I _always_ take my

42_TarpmansFinestWeb_2.jpg

10x10 tarp on overnighters, as well as a small one-man tent:

42_IMG_0722WEB_3.jpg

Like others on this forum, I take the same gear solo that I do when paddling in a group. I like to be self-sufficient, even when there are other people around.

The main safety difference for me when soloing is, I find myself much more cautious on land. With groups, I go scrambling up and down rocks and poking around in tide pools. When I'm alone, I move much more slowly and carefully, and I am always aware of the possibility of twisting an ankle or dislocating a shoulder. I also carry my VHF with me when exploring an island solo - luckily it's an ICOM M88, so walking around with it is easy.

Alex

alexsidles said:
When I'm alone, I move much more slowly and carefully, and I am always aware of the possibility of twisting an ankle or dislocating a shoulder. I also carry my VHF with me when exploring an island solo - luckily it's an ICOM M88, so walking around with it is easy.

Alex

I do the same thing. Cell phone in one pocket, VHF clipped to my belt, and I move slowly, and carefully. No running or jumping.

In the back of my mind I'm thinking about how terrible it would to break a leg or something, out there all alone.... :?

Thank you all for your quality feedback and photos!

If I may summarize, for my own understanding:
> Solo or group - always aim to be completely self sufficient
> Gear brought is the same, but when solo pack backups for the essentials
> Be more careful with evaluating weather and conditions - more conservative when route planning
> Plan for extra days out

This one I wasn't expecting, this being a sea kayaking forum, but it's actually a really good point:
> be extra cautious on land and always carry a means of communication on your body

@Nootka:
Why the difference in paddle floats (foam vs inflatable)?

I just replied to the thread by Dexter: Should I leash Myself to my Kayak?
http://www.westcoastpaddler.com/com...start=0&postdays=0&postorder=desc&highlight="

What are your thoughts on the whole leash issue? Is this something you consider when paddling solo and far from shore?

@Nootka:
Why the difference in paddle floats (foam vs inflatable)?
While the inflatable has more buoyancy, the foam is usable as soon as you hit the water. So I am choosing speed of use ahead of more-forgiving-of-bad-balance. Note that a coaming stirrup greatly simplifies entry in either case (for me anyway).

The hardest thing to pack is good company...

I find that when I paddle with a group it is easy to throw caution to the wind. It's actually kind of dangerous; there is a groupthink going on and sometimes I have found myself wondering if anyone has checked the weather, the tides, and has made a go-no-go decision. So I have started doing them as if I were alone anyway.

There was a group of 17 paddlers that I fortunately did not encounter. Weather conditions got bad and everyone scrambled for shore. Tail end paddler capsized unnoticed by the group and was rescued by a fishing boat. There is no safety in numbers.

There should be no difference in the precautions that you take solo or in a group. You are the captain of your own vessel and responsible for everything that happens in her on the water.

Same same on land except that on the water your lifespan, should an accident occur, is measured in minutes whilst on land it's more likely to be measured in days.

Attitude. Solo paddling is my time to think positively and practice positive visualization. I work hard at putting aside relationship challenges, child rearing quandaries and financial worries (plenty of time for that on the long drive down through the desert).

Paddling solo in the Sea of Cortez in winter is about as alone as I can get around here. No one monitors marine radios, a flashing light doesn't mean much, weather forecasts are unreliable. So:
* I stick religiously to my float plan (which I file with a friend who speaks Spanish and has a Panga he can help me out with). However, backing off overly-ambitious plans and returning to town is fine.
* I make a point of conversing with any fishers I meet - Best weather forecasts I know of... If they ask me for anything I make every effort to help out (usually water).
* I rise at 4am and am on the water by 5:30. Asleep by 8pm (no matter how good the star-gazing is...)
* Play the "What If..." game in my head much of the time.
* Possess and understand the tide charts.
* Wary of crossings of more than 3 miles after 9am
* Swim with caution, no spear fishing (maybe I'm the only guy who's speared himself twice?)
* No drugs
* Good charts
* Waterproof binos that I keep on deck (that way I use them).
* Have supplies and especially water for three days longer than planned
* Use a kayak with double hatch covers

And I wish I had a watermaker but can't afford one right now.

Hey, AstoriaD -
I have two questions regarding the pictures you plugged into this thread.

#1: Where did you find that tarp, and how much did it cost? I'd like to get something like that, with the proper catenary cuts in it so it doesn't droop like an old blanket. I've lusted after the ones shown in NRS catalogs but dang they're expensive.

#2: How do you strap that picnic bench on to your boat? Does it affect your rolls? :lol:

The tarp is a 10 x 10 plain jane unit from Campmor, cost about USD35 ten years ago. No catenary anywhere -- I just reef the stuff out of the lines and it warps out like what you see. I placed a few extra grommets along the edge and reinforced the corners. Also sewed a piece of nylon onto the center to protect it when there is a center pole.

The picnic table is inflatable and goes on deck. The bummer is the gas-powered compressor needed to inflate it. We usually tow that in an inflatable raft behind the Cargo Barge.

Back