• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Paddling the Fraser

Pinko

I want to paddle the Fraser River from Hope to Point Atkinson next summer. I have whitewater paddled for years and paddled from Point Atkinson up to Desolation Sound in chunks and bicycled from the Kootenays to Hope on the Kettle Valley Railbeds. Now it is time to tie it all together with a trip down the mighty Fraser. I floated a balloon here last year but didn't get much reply. Has anyone done this trip?

I have paddled from Hope to New Westminster many times. Of course water levels can vary greatly. When in flood the whirlpools can be huge and cross currents tricky so I would recommend you wait until water levels are normal to low. I have seen trees that are partly submerged roll, shooting large branches upward.

Also be aware that there are numerous native reserves along the river and camping on them may not be politically correct.

Should be a nice trip.

Mary

Back