Parking at Lund

Rachel_M

Paddler
Hi

We parked in Dave's parking at the edge of the harbour Easter 2011. Obviously things could have changed since then. Phone number 604 483 3667. I'm pretty sure it was around $5-$6 per day. There are also washrooms and showers at the harbour. Probably worth a phone call in advance as it gets really busy with people leaving their cars and heading out to Savary.

If you need somewhere for breakfast/lunch, try Nancy's bakery - yum!

If you have time, make a trip through the Copelands. The BEST seashore life I have seen anywhere, sea stars, urchins, sea cucumbers etc.

Have fun!

Rachel

pryaker

Paddler
If you want free parking there's a couple options, as you come into Lund you'll see cars parked along the highway on the left side, you can grab a spot there or turn right onto Finn bay road (pretty sure that's the name, there's sort of a Y where left leads down to the Harbor and right goes to Finn Bay) and park along the right side. Of course you'd want to go unload your boats and gear first then go park the car. It's a bit of walk and if you don't like that idea then it's Dave's for the closest parking to the main harbor launch ramp. I can't tell you whether it's "legal" or not, but I prefer to launch off the beach/ramp behind the Lund hotel, don't be tempted to park there though,I think it's private property.

Have a good trip. I HIGHLY recommend a stop at our new(ish) craft brewery either before or after your trip. Townsite Brewery is in the old post office in Townsite (near the mill and the Patricia theatre) and has a tasting room where you can try all the beer and buy growlers or bottles. A bottle or two down below the waterline makes for a cool beverage after a long (or short!) days paddle.

Enjoy

camshaft

Paddler
Very good point pryaker

Obviously my brain wasn't working at full speed this afternoon

As pryaker said
that is where I parked

Lund you'll see cars parked along the highway on the left side

pryaker said:
Hey Cam you're gonna confuse em! you gotta take one more ferry to get to lund!

benson

Paddler
Thanks for the info...nice to have options for parking. We'll hopefully catch the bakery on the way in and the brewery on the way out! Looking forward to some water time!

benson

Paddler
Post trip FYI: Dave's parking is currently $7/day..$43/wk, $3 launch and take-out fee at marina or behind Lund Hotel. The launch site behind the hotel is probably a better choice if you need a bit of time to load gear. Nancy's Bakery...as good as advertized! You can diet when you get home. Great camp sites (and popular) in the Curmes and Copeland Is. Didn't get up to Toba Inlet this trip, but great swimming in the warm saltwater and nearby lakes!

pryaker

Paddler
benson said:
Great camp sites (and popular) in the Curmes
Good to hear your trip was a success, the Curmes just made the local newspaper:

Seems someone was a bit careless with fire, and this when there's a burn ban in effect. Not sure which of the islands got burnt but it's sad to hear. There's another campsite in the area, over on Sarah point, one of the sunshine coast trail sites and it got burnt up a few years ago and still shows the signs...

Attachments

AM

Paddler
Wow, that is terrible! I can't find any info on the fire through a Google News search. If you have any links to articles, I would appreciate you posting them.

Regards,
Andrew

benson

Paddler
Just saw the post about the Curmes fire. We left there on the 22nd after a 3 night stay and did observe a group of boy scouts had a small fire there our last night. We saw a ranger there, at Sarah Pt, and in the Copelands out warning of fire danger. We had talked to one of the scout leaders when they first came in with their large group. Wish we would have made a point of infoming them of the fire ban, but assumed with a group that size they must have talked with the ranger. They might not have caused it, but the timing... what a shame.

pryaker

Paddler
Yeah, it is a shame. I need to take back what I said about the burn ban. Over the weekend I was talking to a friend who actually was the one to call in the fire and she reminded me that the ban was only on for burning piles and such, a small campfire is allowed.

While I don't know if there's any concrete evidence but yeah, the Boy Scout group's fire is surmised to be the culprit. Rumour is that it did something like burning under the moss/duff for a few days before rekindling. My friend said that over the course of their last trip (she's a guide) they'd been noticed some "dumb visitor" behaviour and, until they heard of the above article, were planning on writing a letter to the editior at The Peak to remind people to stay smart.

It makes me think a bit. I know as a former wildland firefighter I'm somewhat complacent about campfires. I usually just let em burn down and don't douche them down with h2o before leaving. Granted, they're usually on rock or gravel, but I think this incident will make me rethink my lackadaisical attitude.

benson

Paddler
Actually, you are right about the burn ban. According to the ranger who talked to us, the Curmes have a permanent burn ban. The other areas were restricted to a small fire. The large multi-tent site northwestern island where we camped had a small metal sign bolted into one of the upper rock ledges...hard to miss. I don't know if the other established sites had similar signs. Where the scouts were camped it appeared to be rougher sites so there may have been no sign, but that doesn't excuse the negligence especially when it's been so dry. I'm really tempted to send an FYI e-mail with the article to the Seattle district Boy Scout office. Even if they weren't responsible, those group leaders should be sure they're practicing "Leave no trace" camping with the scouts.
They have a less than stellar track record here on the Peninsula. About 5 years ago a Seattle area troop was camping out at the coast at Ozette and some scouts defaced some of the petroglyphs at Wedding Rocks. Fortunately they were caught and it was pretty well cleaned up. I guess it only takes a few to make them all look bad...not fair to the kids out there for the right reasons. In the meantime I'll try to behave myself too!