• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Parking near Swartz Bay ferry terminal

kayakwriter

Administrator
Going to my happy place by planning future trips. We're thinking of doing a Portland Island weekend in April. When going solo, I've often wheeled my kayak on board at Tsawwassen, but group logistics make it easier to take my car across this time. In the past, you used to be able to park your car next to the chain link fence on the little lane off Dolphin Road that leads to the beach and public dock. Anyone with local, recent knowledge able to confirm if this is still the case? And if that space was filled, is there weekend parking anywhere on Dolphin Road, or pay parking at Canoe Cove Marina?
Dolphin Road parking.JPG

Reactions: AM
I thought that lot was private and not available to the public, but I could be wrong. You can park in the BC Ferries parking lot and walk from there.

Sorry, I was unclear. There is a private, fenced-in lot, but there is also free, public parking along the side of the road, outside the private fence. The right-hand-most line of cars in Phil’s photo are parked in this public parking area.

Alex

The chain link fenced parking area and repository of old boats is owned by the Piers Island property owners. I have not heard about the row of street parking adjacent to the fence being closed. It's a great spot to drop your kayak in the water for the Gulf Islands. I have used it for years to leave my truck for more than a week at a time. When my sons had a boat at Canoe Cove I left my vehicle there once when the Dolphin Road parking was full. There is really no other overnight parking any where near this launch.

Does anyone know if there is free overnight street parking at the end of Schwartz Bay road, on the north side of Pat Bay highway? I seem to recall seeing cars parked there, but it was years ago.

Lee, though I don’t know the answer to your specific question, I do recall that overnight street parking was not allowed =and maybe even long term day parking on the streets - in that area. Sidney does have an overnight, multiple day parking lot near a park. These days, parking and permits/fees are a bigger concern than gear/fitness/weather. You are wise to check about “on street” ahead of time. Don’t guess; your vehicle might not be there when you return from your paddle.

I don't think overnight parking is officially allowed where the marker in the map is but unofficially, overnighters can be tolerated. Watch that you're not blocking anyone's driveway of course. I've parked on Dolphin many times for overnight kayaking trips to the Gulf Islands and so far, no problems. However, a safer bet is to unload near the dock and then pay a minimal fee park at the nearby Canoe Cove Marina & Boatyard. It's just a short 7-8 min walk back.

On a side note - and worth its own forum topic ;) - the last time I was there with my friends, we saw a group of 4 people, probably in their late 20's, preparing to launch to kayak through the night across the Strait of Georgia land on Jericho Beach in Vancouver! It seemed like they had everything they needed gear wise and two of them were guides. It was for a fund-raiser. Amazing!!

Reactions: CPS
On a side note - and worth its own forum topic ;) - the last time I was there with my friends, we saw a group of 4 people, probably in their late 20's, preparing to launch to kayak through the night across the Strait of Georgia land on Jericho Beach in Vancouver! It seemed like they had everything they needed gear wise and two of them were guides. It was for a fund-raiser. Amazing!!

I'm proud to say they were my co-workers at Jericho Beach Kayak

Reactions: CPS
Last week I caught an opening in the wind warnings and decided to day paddle out to Portland Island. Arriving at my usual Dolphin Road parking spots early in the morning I discovered not a single space for me. In 15 years I have never had this happen, particularly on a Wednesday morning. Thanks for the Canoe Cove suggestion for parking. As it turned out, I headed over to Brentwood Bay, launched just north of it and enjoyed a calm, sunny paddle over to Saltspring Island and enjoyed lunch on a little sandy beach across from the Swartz Bay ferry terminal.

Last week I caught an opening in the wind warnings and decided to day paddle out to Portland Island. Arriving at my usual Dolphin Road parking spots early in the morning I discovered not a single space for me. In 15 years I have never had this happen, particularly on a Wednesday morning. Thanks for the Canoe Cove suggestion for parking. As it turned out, I headed over to Brentwood Bay, launched just north of it and enjoyed a calm, sunny paddle over to Saltspring Island and enjoyed lunch on a little sandy beach across from the Swartz Bay ferry terminal.
DSCF8991.JPG

Back