• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Parking Okeover

Brian D.

Paddler
What is the long term parking availability for a vehicle and a trailer at Okeover. I have been googling like mad, but cannot find many details beyond there are 50 spaces at the public launch.

Last edited:
- maybe email Parks and see what the longterm situation is at Okeover Prov Pk and let us know.
- On the website there's mention of parking at Penrose Bay as well.

if you find more info, it'd be nice to know it.

What is the long term parking availability for a vehicle and a trailer at Okeover. I have been googling like mad, but cannot find many details beyond there are 50 spaces at the public launch.
Year before last I paid for parking at the Harbourmaster on the dock. I don't know if it ever fills up (I expect it might but even when I went in mid-summer I was OK). There is a contact info for the Okeover Harbour at https://www.okeoverharbourauthority.com/contact-us.html
My plan B would have been Powell River Sea Kayaks further up the inlet but I didn't need to try that so not sure what the availability or cost there would be.

Hey Brian, depending on when you're coming you may or may not have parking issues in Okeover. There's a dirt lot up the hill from the ramp that is meant for cars and trailers who launch there; probably not big enough for 50 though, more like 25. As the paved road takes a big right turn down to the ramp you'll see the dirt road continuing straight and 10 yards down that dirt road you'll see the parking on the left. It's pretty obvious on google maps. There are about three spots on the road that are free but they're usually taken by locals. This time of year it's mostly empty even on weekends. In the summer it's busier. Though I don't know for sure, I guess it probably does fill up. As erik mentioned it is a pay lot and you pay the harbormaster.

As far as parking at Penrose Bay; the only chance of that would be at PR Sea Kayaks. Though technically they aren't on Penrose Bay, (Penrose is the bay north of them) I think they do allow people to park there. My guess is that service is only available to those renting boats from them or on one of their trips.

Thank you all. I did track down a very nice person at the Okeover Harbor Authority. There is room for 5o vehicles. $5/day each for car and trailer. She indicated there is another lot up the road that is privately owned.
She indicated that weekdays have more abundant availability than weekends.

Just a correction to pryaker, Powell River Kayak Company is on Penrose Bay. The bay to the north is Trevenon Bay and is private property, so no access. As for parking at Penrose Bay, you should contact the PR Sea Kayak Co.

At Okeover, take an envelope from the box at the harbourmaster office. Fill in the form inside, insert it and cash into the envelope and place it in the box.

Back