• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Perception's hatches?

SZihn

Paddler
Hello to all.

I just picked up a 17 foot Perception Eclipse Sea Lion. As with other Perception kayaks I have picked up and seen, the rear hatch is held down by straps with Fast-Tex buckles. And as with others, the straps are made in a "Y" with one being long and the other the correct length to tighten down against the hatch cover.

So my questions:

Why the 2 lengths of straps? They are obviously made that way for a reason. I just don't know what that reason is.

I googled Perception Eclipse Sea Lion and none of the photos show Y shaped straps over the hatches. Could you post one to aid our (my) understanding?

Reactions: CPS
I think you are talking about what appear to be double straps (one on top of the other)? I believe these are made to hold a spare paddle. The "correct size" holds the hatch down, and the longer one which sits on top of it can go over the spare.

Thanks Mowog, that's the information I was looking for.
That 1st picture shows exactly what i was talking about. It would be great for lashing a dry-bag to the deck, but a strong wind would pay bad games with you. I lashed a long float to my deck back in June and when the wind came up hard it just played hell with my ability to keep the kayak going straight. But for gentle winds or calm conditions it looks like a good way to carry a few extra things. It's obviously what Perception had in mind.

Thanks again

I lashed a long float to my deck back in June and when the wind came up hard it just played hell with my ability to keep the kayak going straight.

Twenty-five years ago deck loading was a more universally accepted practice and it was something that Perception perceived (see what I did there?) to be a good selling point. It is still practiced by some today but folks are more aware of the aerodynamic issues it can create and, more importantly, the loss of critical deck space that can stand between you and a self-rescue or your last swim.

Back