Pool Sessions

waverider

Paddler
Well it is that time of year again to head inside to pratice in the warmth of a pool.

Just wondering what pools are available to do this, I do know that Ron Andrews pool in West Van (I think that is where it is) has a pool session on Friday nights (well the last time I checked they did)

Secondly how does it work, do you just bring your kayak along and enter the pool, or do you rent one there?

Thirdly For those in the fraser valley, I am in the thinking of talking to the people in charge over at the Walnut Grove pool in Langley in the hope of setting up a pool session out here. Just wondering if there is enough interest to proceed with that.

DarenN

Paddler
i would be interested in the langley location, as long as it's earlier in the evening than the one in burnaby. too late for me.

mick_allen

Paddler & Moderator
Secondly how does it work, do you just bring your kayak along and enter the pool, or do you rent one there?
most just bring their yaks, but there are some (ww type) there that i am sure you could rent.

but if you have a yak yr used to, just bring that.

Mark_Schilling

Paddler
If you're going to try to organize a new session, I'd recommend trying to make it at least 2 hours. The first two I went to were at the Ron Andrews pool (North Van) and they were only an hour (maybe 1 1/4 hrs). It seemed that, by the time you got warmed up, it was time to leave. I remember looking into Vancouver area pool sessions last year and it seemed they were all about an hour.

Two of the kayak shops here in Victoria have arranged pool sessions; one on Saturday evenings and the other on Sundays. Both seem well attended, and each are 3 hours (6:30pm - 9:30pm I think). While that can be a bit long, at least you can leave early by choice. I usually stay at least 2 1/2 hours and it enables me to get all the practise in that I want, without feeling rushed.

woodensoul

Paddler
waverider said:
Just wondering what pools are available to do this, I do know that Ron Andrews pool in West Van (I think that is where it is) has a pool session on Friday nights (well the last time I checked they did)

The pool in West Van I believe is the West Vancouver Aquatic Centre (can't keep up with the name), but it's West Van municipality... Ron Andrew pool is in North Van...

The session there is run by "Sea to Sky Kayak". Don Jamieson's venture. Don's a good guy, he's a white water guy and has a store at the bottom of the Seymour river under the Second Narrows bridge. He rent's the pool from WV and runs a session Friday night given he has enough bodies so you need to call and check. If you make arrangements he will rent you a boat and bring it to the pool for you. He does lesson's, but be warned that the roll he teaches (his invention) is not like any of the Greenland stuff you see out there. Having said that, I am getting my yak around using his role basics... Typically he has a bunch of people who are doing a lesson others who are getting some coaching and some who are just practicing. Different rates depending what you are doing. Here's a link...
http://www.squamishkayak.com/

rider

Paddler
Don's crew kicks ass. I took 2 rolling lessons from them at the west van aquatic center and it was a great experience. Enrike did most of the teaching of the newbies(like me). The "sea to sky" roll they teach seems very closely based on a pretty standard C to C roll.

woodensoul

Paddler
rider said:
Don's crew kicks ass. I took 2 rolling lessons from them at the west van aquatic center and it was a great experience. Enrike did most of the teaching of the newbies(like me). The "sea to sky" roll they teach seems very closely based on a pretty standard C to C roll.
Don would like to think it's different :wink: . I run into a lot of sea kayakers who say that what he is doing works better for white water boats then sea kayaks. Having said that he usually gets everyone their first roll in a weekend lesson (2 session). He has a good teaching methodology with support of video, warm pool, equipment, and competent staff. I have spent a lot of time learning to coach in other sports and I can spot a good methodology when I see one now. I had a bit of trouble transitioning from the river boat to a sea kayak, but their were other factors involved like really cold water! I think that what he has setup is probably the quickest way to getting a role down. If you are dropping into one of these seminars at a Paddlefest its 2 hours without support of video, and followup. I have learned techniques in other sports this way and just takes years... So yah, I think they do a good job too.

geri

Paddler
Pool Sessions...

I would definitely be interested in some pool sessions at Walnut Grove. I can't roll but would like to get comfortable with hanging up side down in warm water. Thanks Waverider for considering setting something up in this area.

SteveD

Paddler
Hey Waverider -I would be interested in having a go, never rolled a kayak - used to roll cigarettes many, many years ago.

Houston

Paddler
I'm down for a Ron Andrews session (as I live minutes away), but would even be willing to commute to Walnut Grove for a session or two.

I havn't practices my roll in awhile... this may be brutal.

mick_allen

Paddler & Moderator
haven't been there for a few mos, but usually am a regular there:

regular large pool, with a divided off shallow end. shallow end great for learning.

friday nites, 10pm to 11:15pm, $6 per person w/ boat. just carry boats in from the parking lot at 10pm.

they have boats there (older ww) that i'm sure you could rent.

varies from 15 ppl to just one (i/ve been the only one on quite a few occasions) - all ww yaks with 1 or 2 learners on seakayaks half the time, sometimes a ww canoe or 2.

waverider

Paddler
Okay, um well so far I have 7 people interested, I was expecting a bit more then that :eek: So I will give it a couple more days and see if more people show interest then go from there.

kelly t

Paddler
Waverider,

I am a newbie paddler, and newcomer to this forum. I would also be interested in a Langley session, day/time permitting.

There is a paddling group called PIKA I found while looking on the 'net. (www.pikakayak.com). They are based in Langley??, and also organize pool sessions, according to their website. Perhaps combining numbers would provide a group large enough to make it viable??

(hope this helps in some way, and does not seem to step on any toes...)

kelly t

SteveD

Paddler
Hey Waverider

I have another interested paddler - as yet not a WCP contributor, he's definitely interested in this pool idea.