• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Pool Sessions

LAM

Paddler
I am trying to set up some pool sessions for kayakers at the Maple Ridge Leisure Centre. I am wondering if anyone would be interested in attending there if I can get something set up. I would like to be able to give them some idea of how many people would likely take advantage of it. I would try to have it set up similar to the Lord Byng Pool where white water and sea kayaks and anything in between can go and practice .

Lila

Thanks Jill, I am glad to hear that you would be interested. I will let you know as I hear more about it.

Lila

Hi,
My girlfriend and I are interested in pool sessions also. We live in Poco, Mable Ridge is an excellent option for us. Let us know! (ocean kayaks)
Thanks!

I would be interested, but I need more than pool time .... I need some instruction!

I have been having discussions with the Aquatic Coordinator at the Maple Ridge Pool. We have come up with tentative plan for Pool Sessions with your kayak. Here are the terms:
Participants must register for the program.
There will be a registration fee which has to be paid up front. This fee has yet to be determined, but will be between $35.00 - $50.00 for 6 one hour pool sessions. I do hope to have the exact amount soon.
There must be a minimum of 4 participants register or it won’t go.
Will be on a drop in basis for registered participants
Only 6 kayaks at a time in the pool
There will be a Life Guard on Duty
This is for Practice and Fun only.
The Pool is 25 meters long, 7.82 meters wide, with deep and shallow ends.
Easy access to get kayak into pool, and close by parking underground, first hour free…
The MR Pool is suggesting a maximum number of registered participants at 6 as that is the amount of kayaks that can be allowed in the pool at one time. This maximum number can be increased, but I would like people’s comments / suggestions on how it may work so that people get an equal shot at getting their 6 sessions. For example: a sign-up sheet? Or first ones there get in? or designated days? Of course this may not even be an issue if we only get 6 or less to register.
If you are interested in this please let me know, either by posting a reply here or by PM to me. Also please let me know which time spot works best for you. Fridays 8:00 pm - 9:00 pm, Saturdays 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm or Mondays 8:00 pm - 9:00 pm. I would also be interested to hear how often you think you would go, every week? Every other week?
Please let me know if you have any questions. Hopefully we can have this set up for mid-January or early February.

Thanks

Lila

I might be interested in dropping in once with my daughter. She's 8 yrs old and could use some wet exit and reentry practice. She's never gone over before and I tried to get her to do it in a warm lake last summer but she wouldn't. I think in a pool she would be comfortable enough to try. Not expecting any eskimo rolls just wet exits and entries.

We have two more spots available for registration. The Maple Ridge Pool Sessions will start January 31, 2014 from 8 pm to 9 pm and will be for 6 consecutive Fridays. Please PM me if you are interested in registering. Thanks!

Lila

This is great! I just joined and have these kind of events is way. Thank you Lila for taking the time to organize this. I am free any of those times and probably would go every second week but could easily go every week if the numbers are needed.

A big thanks to everyone who has responded. At this time the pool will only allow 6 people to register and we are at that maximum. The Maple Ridge Leisure Center has never had a program like this before and while they are very excited to get it off the ground they are also very cautious and concerned about liability issues. We are all hoping that this pilot project works well and that when the fall of 2014 arrives they will be more open to having it run similar to the Lord Byng sessions.
Thanks again everyone.

Lila

Back