REVIEW: Book: Paddling Through History

Dan_Millsip

Paddler

Title: Paddling Through History: Sea Kayak Vancouver and Victoria
Authour: Aileen Stalker and Andrew Nolan
Published by: Rocky Mountain Books (May 1, 2005)
ISBN: 1894765575

Comments:
If you're a paddler who enjoys knowing the history of the places that you paddle, you'll find this book fascinating when urban paddling in the Vancouver and Victoria regions.

The book is further broken down into specific day paddles around the two regions with nine trips around Vancouver and three around Victoria. Each trip is clearly defined with lots of historical info, put in locations, cautions, and things to watch for. It's very obvious when you start reading this book that a lot of thought and work went into researching the content.

The book doesn't go on ad naseum about boring historical details but gives you enough historical background to fully explain what you can see from the water while in your kayak. And there's lots to see -- you'll no doubt be accessing this book time and time again.

The physical size of the book is small enough that it can easily be taken along on a paddling trip.

Final conclusion:
I've paddled a lot of the Lower Mainland locations in this book and will definitely be taking a little different look at some of those locations the next time I'm at them. If you enjoy urban paddling in Vancouver and Victoria, this book is well worth picking up.

I purchased this book on one of the BC Ferries while on my way back from paddling in the Gulf Islands. It's also available at www.amazon.com.

trystan13

Paddler
Author Response

Thanks for the great review Dan. So far all the response to the book from the paddling community has been great. Between Victoria and Vancouver we are fortunate to have some of the greatest urban paddling anywhere. All the routes in the book have amazing paddling, surprising histories and offer a new perspective every time you paddle them. We hope that you enjoy paddling them as much as we do.

As noted the book is available online, but if you can, please support your local paddling store.

Andrew & Aileen

P.S.
Not only does its compact size make it easy to take along, but makes it a great stocking stuffer. :wink: