Rolling DVD

benson

Paddler
Recently picked up "This is the Roll" DVD in my quest to do it right. This only covers 3 rolls: standard Greenland, reverse sweep, and storm roll, but is really well done. It's broken down into steps with trouble shooting for each. Primarily Greenland demo, but using a Euro-blade is covered as well. 150 minutes worth. Time to get wet!

RoyN

Paddler
I've seen "This is the Roll" It's a fairly good video. If you're looking for a video on all of the Greenland competition rolls take a look at University of Sea Kayaking's roll video with Maligiaq and Dubside. Also USK's video shows above the water view of the rolls, in addition they also show below the water from a divers POV.

benson

Paddler
Thanks Roy. Those two are pretty amazing. I've had a chance to watch Dubside demo a series of rolls ...very fluid. Practicing the 3 rolls helps me appreciate flexibility and technique...things I could use quite a bit more of! The one I'll need some time on is the storm roll...nice to have as a go to roll for a quick recovery.

RoyN

Paddler
Just noticed you live in Sequim. Are you attending SSTIKS this weekend at Twanoh State Park? Even if you're not regestered you can get some info from watching others roll their qajaq's.

benson

Paddler
Didn't plan ahead for it this year so I won't be headed down to the SSTIKS symposium since they have closed registation. I'll want to be on the water for some class time instruction if I do go. Seems like I can learn from any good teacher since they can point out what I'm doing wrong . So often it's the little things that can make a difference. Helen Wilson is scheduled to do some classes in Pt Angeles the end of September (Lake Crescent). If I haven't gotten it figured out by then, I'll likely sign up. Thanks for the idea...the SSTIKS gathering would be a fun weekend....getting tangled up in some rope gymnastics and all!