• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Rudder repair

blueswallow

Paddler
Have discovered the sleave on rudder of my senior Necky Swallow is damaged. Looks like no replacements available. Anyone have success using 3 D printing to make one? Any other ideas?
IMG_20220513_212556735~2.jpg
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20220513_212612443_MP~2.jpg
    IMG_20220513_212612443_MP~2.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 71
search for 'nylon pulley' or 'sheave'. When I look on Grainger, there's about a trillion of them:

sheaves.jpg

Or chuck a piece of ply [or aluminum] in a clamped down drill and turn the shape you want, seal, and mount. Or make a mould from what you have and re-fabricate with glass.

I looked a while back in the workings of an old mechanical mantle clock and one of the gears had broken - and the watchmaker repair had scabbed a piece of brass with 4 or 5 teeth onto the side of the broken gear! With that in mind and using that bolt nearby, I think you could effect something quite similar if looks were not important.

Reactions: CPS
Thanks so much! Have ordered one I think will work if I can manage to drill some holes in and install.
This forum is great and much appreciated!

Back