Safe storage ideas for Vancouver

Wildcoaster

Hi WCP folks! I live in Vancouver, and am wondering if you think it's safe to store a kayak outdoors in a backyard under a covered deck (on a rack). I'm more worried about theft than damage, although damage would potentially be an issue as well. My only other option would be to hang it on the wall in the dining room or try to find public storage by the water. What do you think? Thanks for your ideas and opinions.

cougarmeat

Paddler
If it's a wooden strip boat (or a Mariner), it's probably really pretty and would look good above a fireplace mantle. We almost picked one up at a Port Townsand Wooden Boat Show, with an agreement that it was, after all, "art", but I couldn't fit in the cockpit :(. It had to be practical as well as "art".

Even if it is under a covered deck, I'd still put some cover over the boat too.

As far as theft, be sure you have the serial number registered with the manufacturer and added to Mariner's owner's directory. It's been a while since I check on the status of that service to see if it is still going. In the past, anyone could "register" their boat with them. So if you were buying a boat - especially if the price seemed too good - you could check with Mariner to make sure the seller was the current owner. Perhaps someone else could comment on if that's still an ongoing service and how to interact with it.

Also, "trackers" are the new thing now. I have one on my keyfob and in my wallet. For me, it's not so much a theft worry as it is a "Where did I put it?" issue. For the ones I have, the batteries last about a year, and the tracker's location is updated anytime it comes in proximity of an iPhone. Easy enough to tape one under the deck. It won't keep theft from happening, But it may aid in recovery.

mick_allen

Paddler & Moderator
I guess you could store an old broken, cracked, dirty, and worn kayak outside.
cracked-maybe.jpg

and that duct tape has to be taken off and put back on and taken off and . . .