sea seat

kayakwriter

Administrator
SCORE!

When we were hashing around Sea Seats, I mentioned this unit

http://www.alpackaraft.com/Site/Items.c ... tegoryID=1

but the nearly $800 price tag deterred even a gear weenie like me.

Just picked up a used one in great condition for $200 from a really nice Eco-racer in North Van. It's missing the inflation bag, but I figure I can inflate it orally, and/or buy a footpump, and/or get a new bag from Feathercraft or Eco-marine.

Bonus: it's yellow, the colour I would have chosen anyway for contrast in photos, loss-resistance, and safety if ever used as a liferaft.

Since I'm now car-free it'll also be fun to carry for taking my Shelty out on local lakes (she travels in fine style in a kiddy trailer behind my bike.)

mick_allen

Paddler & Moderator
i was walking thru rona a few weeks back and saw a 48" long inflatable snow toy that i think would be similar, but better than the seaseat.

it was abt $10, and i knew pple would laugh if i ever really showed it. but what the heck - i bought it. really

Dave_Barrie

Paddler
Bonus, I hit the jackpot......was cruising a local site of stuff for sale and I found someone who was selling 3 new Sea Seats :p His father used to own a canoe shop and he found some boxes of stuff that he was selling off. All 3 are new, one is still in the package with original instructions....and the original price tag of $89.

I grabbed all 3 and got a sweet deal 8)

mick_allen

Paddler & Moderator
Another possibility - klymit:

KlymitRaft.jpg

eriktheviking

Paddler
For folks who are comfortable with a build process there are packraft kits: DIY Packrafts
Matt is located in Smithers BC and he designs the rafts and sells the kits- right now 4 models. The build method involves "welding" TPU fabric pieces together using a hot ironing method. I am about 1/3 of the way through building the "Telkwa" model
diypackraft.jpg

The kit consists of TPU fabric that is pre-scored so the pieces need to be cut out.

Matt provides build instructions that include short video clips and diagrams etc as well as a forum. He also has some videos from trips he has done- including a 30-day lengthwise traverse of VI that was a mix of backpacking and packrafting.

I will show some build details from my project once I am a little further along.