• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Sealant question

Mowog73

Paddler
Back around '97, I had one of Current Designs' flush mounted compass installed in my Solstice kayak. I have no recollection as to what type of sealant was used back then but I noticed yesterday, while cleaning the boat, water dribbling out of the mount when the kayak was turned upside down on the saw horses. Any suggestions what type of sealant to use to re-seal the compass mount to my kayak?

Also while the kayak was upside down, I noticed water dribbling out of the desk fitting. I'm assuming that there is a rubber O-ring of some sort between the underside of the deck and the screw that holds the desk fittings in place. Again, any suggestion for a replacement gasket?

Thanks for the help
Mark

Capture.JPG

Any suggestions what type of sealant to use to re-seal the compass mount to my kayak?

Also while the kayak was upside down, I noticed water dribbling out of the desk fitting. I'm assuming that there is a rubber O-ring of some sort between the underside of the deck and the screw that holds the desk fittings in place. Again, any suggestion for a replacement gasket?
In the picture, it looks like there are stainless fasteners holding the rubber compass mount to the boat. Is the sealant/adhesive actually holding the compass mount in place? If not, I wouldn't worry about water between the rubber and the deck.

For sealants, I like Lexel. Just avoid silicone IMO - it doesn't work all that well, and it's a hassle cleaning off silicone if you ever want something else (like a glass or gelcoat repair) to stick in the same area.

Sometimes I've found O-rings around fasteners, but often it's just a small glob of sealant, a washer, and the nut. If it's an O-ring, replace with the same. Princess Auto and auto parts places usually have 'assortments' of O-rings in a box for not too much money. It's really convenient having O-rings on hand- lessens the stress if I drop one on the floor (never-never land sometimes...) :).

In the picture, it looks like there are stainless fasteners holding the rubber compass mount to the boat. Is the sealant/adhesive actually holding the compass mount in place?
The black compass mount isn't rubber, its a hard plastic type of material, ABS I'd guess.

Ah yes, Princess Auto, great suggestion, thanks.

Last edited:
I use this stuff on my old Sailboat and on our Touring Yaks. These little 70ml sausages are cheap and last forever. Let it splooge out, a few days later trim it away. Mostly all Chandleries carry it.
1650942546019.png

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll make a few calls, see if Sikaflex is available locally, otherwise go with 3M 4200.

Back