• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Securing Pygmy hatch cam levers

Oldpro

Paddler
I was in a pool session last weekend practicing in part, rescues. When I climbed onto the rear deck of my arctic tern my PFD caught on my hatch levers and popped a couple of them loose each time. I remember seeing a post about securing them which involved drilling a hole in each and threading a safety line through the holes.

My searches haven't come up with the post, and I'd like to see it, rather than rely on my sketchy memory.

Anybody remember the post? :?:

OldPro

not that post exactly, but this thread of posts has a section dealing with that exact issue:

http://www.westcoastpaddler.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=706

if your setup is like this:

pygmy-straps01.jpg

the end of the cam is high because the retainer is under a lesser tensioned part of the loop. if the retainer goes under both parts of the loop, the cam end will be pulled down a bit more - and that may be adequate for you (not for me tho', heh heh). you may lose a few retainers that way, tho' - ("unretained retainers" - heh heh)

another idea would be to form up a black glass 1" wide sleeve that you pull across the cam end - a little less bulky, a little more flush, a little more aesthetic. or even a web sleeve.

Securing hatch covers

Mick; Thanks for the link to the thread. I remember reading all those suggestions and giving them serious consideration. For the short term, until I find the safety wire thread, I'm going to reverse from side-to-side one of the three straps on each hatch. That way, if I pop one loose, the other two will still hold. Now I'll have to carefully consider which is my preferred "mount" side.

Oldpro

sounds good,

but if you do have an extra retainer or two, push the existing retainer back out of the way and try that prior suggestion of a retainer over the whole loop and see if it actuallydoes hold the cam down better that what you have.

and if you like that better, just side cutter the old one off.

I'm not suggesting that it's the perfect solution but I have sections of 1" bike tire tubes on each strap and once the hatch is secured I slide/stretch the tube up over the cam buckle. It stays in place pretty darn well and seems to survive lots of deck traffic. You have to stretch it so it stays in place. I think it's clean as it's black and not really noticeable but maybe that's just me.
It is susceptible to UV so mine are in need of replacement right now and I'm going to go buy a new tube to sacrifice.
Jon

Good idea!
I was practicing towing when I found the tow rope "moved" the loop holding the cinch cam. The other time was doing rescue, and another time was holding the paddle at the back deck when I needed both hands. Anything moves sideway on the back deck can possibly make them slide, I think :shock: .
Who cares how it looks if it saves me from any problem. Even with all the straps and junky staff and all the scratches on my AT14, people still see it as beautiful boat 8).
Be safe!!

BTW, I am off to Shaw Island circumnavigation in San Juan this weekend. got several back up plan and bail out plan in case the weather gets worse. See you when I get back.

Back