• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Seek advice about waterproof camera cases and bags

JoannaB

Hi,

I am enjoying kayaking but so far I had problem with taking pictures. Since my camera is not fully waterproof. It is one of PowerShots by Canon.
For a while I am trying to find some waterproof bag or case in camera stores in Vancouver. Without success.
Can anyone suggest where I can find a store which sells them in Vancouver area?
They are available on EBay, but I do not feel as paying shipping costs for something which is worth $20.

Joanna

Thanks for directions. I tried few stores in Vancouver. London Drugs as well, but not that one as you suggested.
Will hunt for this case, want to finally take some photos from kayaking!

Joanna

Joanna, if you can swing the price perhaps a better investment is to buy a waterproof camera? There are a number of advantages including: you can use it while swimming or snorkelling, you will find it easier to see things in the viewfinder (or LCD) than when looking through a plastic window in a case or a waterproof "baggie", it will likely have built-in software to correct for the underwater colour distortion (cuts some of the blue/green), you will likely find the buttons a lot easier to use. You can find these from about $200 and up.

I don't know if you are looking for a dedicated waterproof case for a "point and shoot" but some of those cases can be very costly (approaching the price of the camera) and are really "fiddly" to work with when putting the camera in (to ensure watertightness).

If you are just looking for something to protect the camera and let you "grab and shoot" while paddling (more of a "splash" protection) then probably the inexpensive bag/cases would work for you. I would recommend making darn sure that there is the facility to attach a leash to the case though...sometimes cameras have been known to sink when accidentally dropped!

I've got one of the canon powershots and just store it in a pelican case on the deck in front of me. When i see something i like i take it out and take the shots i need and put it back in the case. The case was about $25.

+1 on the Canon Powershot in a small Pelican case. Been doing that for a while. The Pelican sits on deck, lanyarded to a padeye, and I can pop it open, make a shot or two quickly, then return the camera to the case, seal the case, and be on my way.

My Power shot is about 9 cm x 7 cm x 4.5 cm, and the microcase that fits it is their 1050, Did a similar gig with an Olympus, a while back, in a smaller Microcase.

No mishaps so far, going on 7-8 seasons. Mine being a relatively inexpensive P and S camera, I have not been shy about taking photos on rough water. The quick access and return make this relatively safe, I think.

Or... if you have Airmiles, you can get a waterproof camera for "free"... just got the new Pentax Optio W90 for about 3500 Airmiles. It's the gross Pistachio Green colour, but who cares.

I am not sure if by case you mean 'waterproof box' or 'waterproof housing'. Housings are expensive(in the 200-270$ range), and very model-specific,but it'll turn your camera into a waterproof camera. A 'box' like a Pelican case will work very well in fairly calm water conditions-but you won't be able to use it in rough water when spray is a problem and you don't want to let go of the paddle for too long.
I have a Canon Powershot and use a Pelican 1060 case to keep it safe(it's big enough for camera,a few spare batteries and a cloth to wipe lens with. Nice low profile to keep on your front deck. If you use a deck bag, you can also use a round container with a screw-on lid,but a Peli-case is all-around better.
2cents on bags...I wouldn't use a regular drybag because it's slower to use than a Peli-case,and while Peli-case is damn near indestructible, a bag provides little protection. There's also the clear bags that are meant to work like a waterproof housing, they work for some people but I don't see the results being..that good.

A Pelican case will also float. I had one of their large double rifle cases(Military) I used to use as a "surfboard" to cross rivers when the current would let me. Somewhere I have a photo of that?

I currently use a Canon D10 waterproof camera for all my kayak photography and it works great. Previously I used the AquaPack case for a small point and shoot camera and it worked quite well, even for snorkeling. The controls were somewhat awkward to operate, so I'd only recommend it for a camera with larger buttons and a lens that doesn't extend out a long way.

It's probably on the more expensive side of things, however it's totally worth it. I'm currently running with a Canon G11 with the Canon waterproof housing. The housing for my camera is $180 from B&H. It would probably be the same from yours. The housing allows you to use almost all of the camera's functions while it's still protected. The only downside is that you do end up with drips on your lens if you're not careful. I've constructed a padded lens cover for mine out of ridge-rest foam and duct tape so that I don't worry too much about whacking the lens glass, and so that I don't end up with water droplets in my picture. The pelican case option usually ends up jeopardizing everything in the case (batteries, memory cards, etc) whenever it's open, and if you do get any moisture in there, ie a splash or a drip, or even wetness from your hands on the camera, it's very difficult to dry/remove, especially in inclement weather. I hope this helps!

Back