Slack tide length

red kite

Paddler

The government site is what I use. You can get a seven day prediction of tide heights, with the heights shown in one hour increments all on one handy table.

The current tables are available as a PDF somewhere on that site as well.
Tides
Currents
And just a reminder that those .pdf tables are all in Pacific Standard Time... So you have to adjust for daylight savings time this time of the year.

JohnAbercrombie

Paddler
The Borsboom tables for use with the Current Atlas are corrected for Daylight Saving time.
The 'always PST' tables are a pain- when there were printed tables, I always slapped a label on the cover to remind myself.

Reactions: CPS

Tongo-Rad

Administrator
...any thoughts on currents going around Brooks? Because it's a longer paddle going around the peninsula it won't really matter when slack is but knowing which way currents go might be helpful.
Definitely seek out local knowledge from nearby Kyuquot village. The north of Brooks Peninsula is very exposed while the southern Checleset Bay is relatively easier. Cape Cook in particular is especially exposed and prone to quick weather changes. Environment Canada's Marine Weather Hazards Manual (2nd ed) mentions the localized effects of the weather in that area. You can also find a detailed description listed in the book Sea Kayaker's More Deep Trouble (see the short, true story, 'The Cape of Storms'). On this forum, @Mike_Jackson would be a great resource on the area as well.

Reactions: CPS

nootka

Paddler
I can't say I really noticed the current, as I was sailing whenever the wind allowed (I've kayaked around the Brooks 4 times).

pryaker

Paddler
Definitely seek out local knowledge from nearby Kyuquot village. The north of Brooks Peninsula is very exposed while the southern Checleset Bay is relatively easier. Cape Cook in particular is especially exposed and prone to quick weather changes. Environment Canada's Marine Weather Hazards Manual (2nd ed) mentions the localized effects of the weather in that area. You can also find a detailed description listed in the book Sea Kayaker's More Deep Trouble (see the short, true story, 'The Cape of Storms'). On this forum, @Mike_Jackson would be a great resource on the area as well.
Thanks for the input; I was aware of the issues with rounding Brooks, that was why I had some concerns. Just got back from our trip, and in our case my pre trip concerns were all for naught; we didn't have to wait for a weather window (we had many weather days figured into our schedule) and rounded in a bit of drizzle/clouds with low swell and some chop but not at all threatening. Two nights at Nordstrum were great and then rounding Clerke was easy in another low swell morning.
cooke point.jpg

Tongo-Rad

Administrator
Great to hear!! The day before you posted, I'd just read a story about how the peninsula claimed the life of one Vancouver Island paddler a while back, and thus my cautionary advice but as with a lot of similar stories, a lack of preparation (and going solo) was a big factor in that unfortunate case.

Thanks for letting us know how it went. I'm sure other paddlers will find your posting really useful. Where will your next adventure take you?