• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Sleeping pads

On the thermarest web site. To compare Dans Trail comfort and Rootmans Ridgerest. I did not see the deluxe so just compared two regulars. The Trail comfort rolled to 4.8in and the Ridgerest rolled to 8in.As Mark mentioned (well under half the size). Rootman your mat would be light weight, but i would find it a struggle to stuff into my low volume boat.

Mark_Schilling said:
I used a RidgeRest for quite a few years, including on a few bike touring trips of 2000+ kms each. I finally 'upgraded' to a ThermaRest a couple of years ago. The RidgeRest is almost as comfortable as the ThermaRest Trail R (20" x 72" x 1.25"), but is much less insulating in cold weather. I imagine weight is probably similar but the ThermaRest pads are much more compact when packed (well under 1/2 the size).

One minor problem with the Ridgerest emerges if you are in a dripping snowcave or use your mattress as a pool noodle in a hot spring or in the lake, moisture will pool in the valleys of the ridges.
Of course, one could sponge it out with a dirty sock, or put it on it's edge for a few minutes, but both of these suck after your sleeping bag gets wet, especially in the winter.

Hi,

Anyone here ever use or have the following:

Thermarest Prolite 3 (1 inch / R-rating 2.3 / rolled 11x4.1)
Thermarest Trail Lite (1.5 inch / R-rating 3.8 / rolled 21x4.3)

I'm trying to decide between the 2 which to get and am looking for feedback. (I probably won't be using the sleeping pad in winter.)

I'm leaning toward the Trail Lite, because it's slightly thicker and it has a higher R-rating.

The Prolite however does roll up very small indeed!

What thickness pads do you guys use? Is 1" okay?

Is an R-rating of 2.3 okay, and how does it compare to the 3.8 rating?

Thanks
Robert

@robertM:
i've been using a full-length Prolite 3 for the last couple of summers. It's always been warm enough, surprisingly comfy for being relatively thin (and, no, I'm not an 18 year old who can sleep on bare ground!!Far from it!!), and it fits compactly up in the bow of my boat just fine! Highly recommended!

I believe I have the trail lite (I bought it a couple of years ago before the coulours changed). It rolls down small enough- for kayaking or for backpacking and is quite comfortable. I upgraded from one of the blue-foamy pads and was quite happy. I did notice an improvement in cushion and warmth.

If you're just looking for 3 season use, either of your choices would do, and for winter use, most people double up with another pad.

I've got the Trail Lite and have found it to be quite comfortable. I've recently purchased a Trail Comfort, which is a bit larger than the Trail Lite -- I've yet to sleep a full night on it but from a couple of "nap" tests, it's indeed very comfortable.

Robert, unless you're planning to go backpacking, it would probably be better to purchase the Trail Lite as the additional comfort over the Prolite is well worth the extra bulk.

RobertM said:
Hi,

Anyone here ever use or have the following:

Thermarest Prolite 3 (1 inch / R-rating 2.3 / rolled 11x4.1)
Thermarest Trail Lite (1.5 inch / R-rating 3.8 / rolled 21x4.3)
i own a therarest trail comfort (2"), trail lite (1.5") and purchased a prolite 3 (1") for this years trip. aside from the space savings my vote is for the prolite 3 ! i've used it for two overnight trips and one 8 day trip and had the best sleeps since i've been kayaking, i'm thinking the new star foam cut out style offers better support than the older models? or i'm just having a good year at 52. dave

I stopped by MEC on the way home to test-drive, umm, test-lay, the pads out.

I actually preferred the Trail Lite, I could feel that extra 1/2 inch of thickness. With the Prolite 3 I could definitely feel the ground poking through and it wasn't as cushy/comfy.

So I think I'll be going for the Trail Lite. Dan, I agree as you say, the additional comfort over the Prolite is well worth the extra bulk.

Thanks for everyone's input. 8)

I also recently test-laid on the pads at MEC and concluded that the Mec Kelvin 3.8 is a total ripoff of the ProLite 4 that's just as comfy and costs 60 bucks instead of 112. And respectively, the Kelvin 2.5 is a ripoff of the ProLite 3, 50$ instead of 95. And Kelvin 5.0 is......i dunno what exactly they copied there, but its big and very comfy. but packs too big for my taste

Wow, thanks Rider. I gave the MEC Kelvin sleeping pads a go after work today. Not bad!

I also tried the thinner ProLite 3 again (and comparing it to the MEC Kelvin equivalent), but this time inflating it a bit more than what it was and it didn't feel so thin. I really like the idea of compact / space saving gear.

Now I have to reconsider all my choices again!

Oh yeah, so I tried the sleeping pad out the other night. Hmmm, interesting night's sleep. I think I over inflated it in the beginning because it was very hard and uncomfortable in the beginning. Eventually I realized I should let some air out, which made it much softer and much more comfortable and was able to get some good sleep after that. It takes some getting used to the narrow width (50cm). I think it also takes a bit of practice / patience in knowing just how inflated it should be, i.e. 1 puff, 2 puffs, etc.

Back