• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Smartwatch for paddling?

I wonder if you'd have better luck with the watch not on your wrist - not "waving" around. I've found the Garmin GPS in my car tracks the car's speedometer quite accurately. The car is moving but the GPS unit is ... steady.

Try mounting the watch on your deck with, minimal blockage to the sky. See if the reading stabilizes a bit.
Thanks for the comment.
I could use a regular GPS (GPSMap 78) mounted on the deck, but I don't want to do that. Besides, I don't think I could easily read the watch display from that distance.
It's a watch and is marketed to runners and swimmers, so the software should be able to produce sensible speed numbers even if the watch isn't held still. Ordinary GPS isn't accurate to less than a couple of meters, I think.
I think it's a defect with the watch. Here's speed data from my walk around the block with the dog last night. Aside from 3 or 4 stops (for the dog) to 'mark' trees, we walked at a steady pace. I was swinging my left arm a bit- marching style- but nothing extreme.
mini-IMG_1354.JPG

BTW, I changed the 'Satellite' settings to less frequent GPS updates to see if that would smooth out the speed results - it didn't.

A watch can give good speed readings when paddling - my old Quatix 1 and Fenix 1 watches have been doing that flawlessly for the past few years. If it weren't for the much better battery life on the newer watches I would never have tried to 'upgrade'.
I'm becoming more of a digital Luddite with evry experience like this, I'm afraid!!! :)

AFAIK gps accuracy is around 4 meters, maybe less if you have the european satellites connected as well. That 4 m is nothing to a car, but is appreciable to a walker or paddler. Call it a feature, not a bug - in a system designed to guide cruise missles to a target, close enough is all you need.

Yeah but ... this is about speed accuracy, not location accuracy - though I can see that if the GPS thinks I'm "here", and then thinks I'm "there" I must have moved from here to there in a time and that is translated into speed.

I have never had a GPS display that radically with a speed display, but it is not something I view often; even when deployed.

Though there are various accuracy reports for the consumer GPS, my experience has been amazing - like it would show my boat not only in the Marina but in the very slip in the marina.

Those are on-the-water readings. On land, when hiking, geocaching, etc., in the mountains I can get phantom tracking points - like showing I'm halfway up a mountain when I haven't left the trail. But that's because there's a lot of signal bounce.

John, I'd have your watch evaluated because I've never seen that kind of jumping with any GPS (all Garmin), I've owned.

It's not the arm motion causing the problem - here's the speed data from this morning's dog walk. the watch was in my pocket the whole time. There were a few stops but most of the walk was at a steady pace.
dog walk with watch in pocket.JPG

John, I'd have your watch evaluated because I've never seen that kind of jumping with any GPS (all Garmin), I've owned.
I didn't do enough research before I bought this Quatix 7. The Quatix is basically the same watch as the Fenix, just with pre-loaded sailboat racing app. There are many many many online posts about problems with the newer Fenix 6 and 7 PACE readings being so erratic that they are useless. Runners use the Pace data, not speed, but I think the algorithm is similar for Speed and Pace.
Once I searched for problems with the Garmin pace data, there was a lot of info online.
I'll do some more work with this Quatix 7 and then post a separate thread to keep others from making the same expensive mistake. :)

Woof, thanks for the heads up John. I've still been considering getting one (a Garmin - maybe Quatix, maybe Fenix, maybe even splurge for a MARQ as I do like the look of the Adventurer edition), but not if it gives erratic data such as what you are experiencing. Please do keep us updated with your findings!

Woof, thanks for the heads up John. I've still been considering getting one (a Garmin - maybe Quatix, maybe Fenix, maybe even splurge for a MARQ as I do like the look of the Adventurer edition), but not if it gives erratic data such as what you are experiencing. Please do keep us updated with your findings!
Thanks for the reminder to post that thread on the Quatix/Fenix 7! :thumbsup:
I've got it to the 'satisfactory' level so I'm not going to return it.

Back