Solar charger for paddling

Rtw73

Paddler
I am in the market for a solar charger primarily for my I phone , for music camera etc.... Open to suggestions
Thanks
Rob

Bluefoot

Paddler
I would get in touch with Graham Morfit at the Modern Outpost - he has a wealth of knowledge in the area.

alexsidles

Paddler
Depending on your needs, you could also consider a large-capacity external Li-ion battery. A 20,000mAh model would charge your cell phone, iPod, and camera batteries at least twice each before it was out of juice, all for less money, less bulk, and less hassle than a solar panel. Plus, you can use it on plane flights, car trips, rainy days, and other situations where a solar panel would be useless.

Amazon has a bunch of cheapie models that get horrible reviews, but this $80 model seems to be a crowd favorite. If you go the battery route, buy more amperage than you need, because some will be lost to heat generation, battery discharge, and manufacturers' exaggerated claims.

Alex

KayDubbya

Paddler
I totally second Alex's suggestion. I have a 13W solar panel which provided one single charge to my cell phone during a week in the Broken Group Islands. I have since bought a 20,000mAH battery pack (Costco - $40) and will henceforth leave the solar panel at home. It will provide about 4 full charges to my phone and I have even used it to charge my tablet.

If you do go the Solar panel route, you can't go wrong with Graham Morfit. First class guy, with a first class business.

Rtw73

Paddler
Going to pick one up Wednesday so unfortunately don't have time to order one I'm leaning towards the power traveler power monkey extreme (mec) anybody have any experience with this item?
Cheers
Rob