• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

SOLD! - BorealDesign Ellesmere 17' kelvar - for sale $2,700CAD

kyushmanova

Beautiful, high performance boat. It is around 12 -13 years old and is in great shape. This Ellesmere is from before BD sent their manufacturing overseas, so designed and made in Canada. Always stored indoors, typical use scratches on the bottom, nothing structural or deep. Hatches are dry and original hatch covers are in great shape and have been regularly treated with 303. I replaced all deck lines and bungies last spring. This is a skeg boat and I found the skeg trouble-free and easy to keep clean.

This boat is great for a small to medium sized paddler, so if you have a smaller frame and have been struggling to find a boat that fits well - this might be the one! It is in kevlar, so the weight is only 47lb. The boat has an ocean cockpit, which I quite like, as it minimizes water seepage and brings the deck closer to my reach. You don't need to be a Houdini to get in and out, but a bit more flexibility is required than with the typical keyhole. I have read reviews from bigger paddlers who enjoy this boat, but when my hubby attempts to take it for a spin, a lot of cursing happens as he gets in and out! So probably more of a flexibility thing rather than size.

This Ellesmere rolls beautifully, behaves exceptionally well in rough seas, and doesn't weathercock much due to low profile. It is super fun to paddle, holds a good amount of gear for its slim silhouette, and is easy to pack. I have done a number of week-long trips in it and did not have any issues. This boat will feel tippy to a novice paddler, but an experienced paddler will appreciate its maneuverability and excellent edging. Great boat to grow your skills in.

The boat is in Vancouver and I can deliver or bring out for a try within Lower Mainland (once the temporary restrictions are lifted). Comes with spray skirt and cockpit cover. Feel free to call or text 604-600-3738 Katya.

Some reviews here: https://paddling.com/gear/boreal-design-ellesmere-kayak/

Attachments

• IMG_8793.jpeg
    IMG_8793.jpeg
    327.9 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_8794.jpeg
    IMG_8794.jpeg
    268.1 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_8795.jpeg
    IMG_8795.jpeg
    294.8 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_8796.jpeg
    IMG_8796.jpeg
    204.4 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_8797.jpeg
    IMG_8797.jpeg
    242.3 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_8798.jpeg
    IMG_8798.jpeg
    159.4 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_8799.jpeg
    IMG_8799.jpeg
    114.9 KB · Views: 264
What are the inside dimensions (length, width) of the cockpit opening?
It is 20 1/4" long, 15 1/4" across, 11 1/2" deep (underside of coaming to bottom of boat).

Attachments

• IMG_9088.jpeg
    IMG_9088.jpeg
    110.8 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_9089.jpeg
    IMG_9089.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_9090.jpeg
    IMG_9090.jpeg
    105.4 KB · Views: 232
Thanks for the cockpit opening dimensions, kyushmanova. The cockpit is too short for this elderly, semi-inflexible guy. I had an Ellesmere some years ago with a longer cockpit opening. In either case, the Ellesmere is a really fine kayak.

Back