• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Spring get together

candikayak

Paddler
Hi guys, been off the site for a while. Wondering ? Do you still get together for a Spring Campout ? When and Where ? Thinking it may be time to attend another one. Thanks.

:clap: Thanks for asking. This will be the first year that I will virtually guarantee to attend and am really looking forward to putting faces to names. Sheila Bam Bam P. are you planning on attending as well?

Blackberry Point, Valdez Island would be nice this time of year. My son and I paddled out a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed the campsites, the solitude, hikes and being able to sit around a fire at night.

My son and I spend a four day weekend at Blackberry and discovered that the Phoenix composting toilet is in need of some basic maintenance. Apparently it was built by a group of kayakers some years ago. I seems that no one is officially performing the routine turning of the tines and emptying the tray of compost. It looks as if it requires a strong constitution, dishwashing gloves and a bit of elbow grease to ensure that it continues to serve the needs of the people camping here.

I would like to suggest that we, as a group take on a cleanup as part of the weekend stay. If someone does not maintain this facility, it will disappear into the forest around it. I really hate to see toilet paper and land mines throughout the bush all along the shore.

WGalbraith said:
I would like to suggest that we, as a group take on a cleanup as part of the weekend stay.

That's an excellent idea.
What maintenance and cleanup exactly will be required? i.e. Would we need some sort of shovels or other 'unusual' (compared to ordinary camping) tools.
What month is being considered for this campout?

I agree with John: that is an excellent idea. It seems to me that that particular toilet was one of the first composters used on the coast in a camping area, a result of some old BC Marine Trail fundraising some years back.

As I recall (from a trip in the area 2 years ago), the plywood ramp up to the commode is cracked. I wonder if some basic carpentry is also required.

I won't be involved, due to other commitments, but if a work gang is formed, I will contribute a few dollars toward supplies.

Cheers,
Andrew

I am pretty available to go the first weekend of April. I would hope to go over on the 31st of March and stay until April 4th depending on weather and such.
Judging by the manual for the Phoenix composting toilet, it would appear that it needs to have a bit of water applied to loosen the turning mechanisms, emptying out any composted waste through the trap door on the bottom, and supplying the sawdust used as bulking agents.

It also appears that some of the decking on the ramp up to the door may need some replacement with new plywood or treated 2x6s or 5/4 Radius decking. I am sure we could clean up the system but the lumber would likely require a power boat ride over with a few cordless tools. Two or three people and supplies would have it all done in a few hours.

And then the functioning system would make life on Valdez so much nicer.

WGalbraith said:
I am pretty available to go the first weekend of April. I would hope to go over on the 31st of March and stay until April 4th depending on weather and such.
March 31 to April 2 (latest) would work for me. I have to be home by Monday.
Possibly I'd just overnight Mar 31-April 1 and then skedaddle if the WX looks threatening (after getting the work done).

I am in, if the dates work. Usually it is a bit later on in April, The weekend of th first does not work for me. I was thinking maybe April 14-15-26, as the Friday is Good Friday, a usual holiday, I believe.
Blackberry would be great, as a fire is nice that time of year. It has been at Arbutus Point for a few years running on Portland, and it is time for a change.
Concerning a fix up of the compost toilet, I would love to join in, but may not have the time. A power boat trip with some major tools and accoutrements will definitely be needed, and kayaks won't cut it for that.
If there is a fundraiser, I will chip in a few bucks, best I can do... Bet all could be fixed up in a few hours, over two days.
Has anyone thought of contacting some of the tour operators who regularly use this area to possibly ante up a power boat and some $$ to help out? They probably use this more than we do, and would be good for their image. That has been the major reason I don't usually there in the peak season, as it is full of tour operator paddlers, and as they do at time "hog" the area, they are allowed there as much as we are, but should also pitch in too!

Another great place might be Tent Island. Great place, and near to lots of fun day paddles, especially around Kuper and Thetis islands.
Let the consensus begin!

JohnAbercrombie said:
Rodnak Kayak said:
Another great place might be Tent Island.

Do you have a recent 'condition report' on the Tent Is campsite(s) ?
Last I heard, it had reverted to it's previous 'messy' state after some refurbishing.

John, not sure on condition...nice place though.. last time I was there was over a year. They had new tables and so forth (some still to be assembled)
But, no....it may need be a mess, it is a summer drinking spot for local kids, this I know....

I would be happy to have a chat with any tour operators that frequent the area and recruit their involvement. Anyone know which companies use Blackberry Point as a camp?

WGalbraith said:
I would be happy to have a chat with any tour operators that frequent the area and recruit their involvement. Anyone know which companies use Blackberry Point as a camp?

Silva Bay Kayak adventures out of Gabriola 250-247-8939
Blue Dog Kayaking out of Mill bay, maybe....

This is just what I gleaned from the grand Inter-Web.
I bet Silva Bay may know of others, and may be able to rally them on our behalf.
Or...try the BCMTN resources, they may know of some....

I have several emails and phone messages out there for potential assistance with the funding and a boat ride. Until I hear back it would be a good idea to have an idea of what lumber and tools are needed. The problem is that when I was there I did not pay much attention to the way the Phoenix structure was built. I did note that the plywood surface was pretty spongy and had a number of asphalt shingles nailed on for traction. The floor under the roof area seemed solid and the composting unit seemed functional although there was little evidence of the "Bulking material" that is supposed to accompany the waste.

The idea for maintenance came after I left and I really should have taken a few pics of the outhouse. I would be very appreciative if any helpful souls out there that may have a collection of photos of their favorite biffys and in particular the one on Valdez Island. Please feel free to post a few or send them directly to me.

Thank you

I would be very appreciative if any helpful souls out there that may have a collection of photos of their favorite biffys and in particular the one on Valdez Island. Please feel free to post a few or send them directly to me.
There's an old thread you can search " Left a trace" good reading :)
On page 6 Batstar. posted a pic of the outhouse at BlackBerry Point .
Dave R

After several weeks and many phone calls I have yet to receive any support or assistance from tour operators that use the area.

I am planning to drive up early on the 31st and stay until Monday afternoon to ride the tide back to Yellow Point. Hope to see a lot of people there to enjoy a Pot luck dinner on Saturday.

I have contacted the B.C. Marine trails network people and spoken to their president about my proposal to do maintenance on the Phoenix toilet they installed. I plan to use this trip to simply measure and put together a material list and offer of free labour to the BCMTN.

There are some serious ownership issues regarding Blackberry Point and its future use for marine camping. The land presently is privately owned by a lumber company. The Lyackson nation has also laid claim to the area as traditional grounds. I was told by the band chief that they definitely wanted nothing to do with the work and told me that they don't allow any camping in the area. The reality is that the land is privately owned and camping is allowed until such time as they log or the Lyackson band is awarded their claim.

Too bad about no operator support, as they are the biggest users/abusers.

I, unfortunately cannot make that weekend, previous plans. ( I volunteer for Wild ARC, it is our Open House)
Was this the weekend for the campout, or is this the pre-campout to scope out and fix the outhouse?

I hope you get a few bodies to help out!
Cheers,
R

I've been lurking in the background on this as personal circumstances preclude me from doing anything to help - other than give backroom support for the altruistic notion you have, WGalbraith.
Even though it is on private land, and there is no obvious support, I think the facility helps those that show up there and helps keep the local environment cleaner. Cudos from here.

Back