• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Strait of Georgia Marine Forecast

kisielk

Paddler
I was looking up the marine forecast on the Government of Canada website this evening and noticed that now there is just one forecast for "Strait of Georgia". I could have sworn it was "Strait of Georgia - North of Nanaimo" and "Strait of Georgia - South of Nanaimo" last time I looked. Does anyone know when this changed and why?

Has the weather radio broadcast been similarly changed? I'm heading up to Desolation Sound this weekend and want to know what to expect.

The page here only has one link for all of Strait of Georgia:

https://weather.gc.ca/marine/region_e.html?mapID=02

I remember last time I paddled on the Sunshine Coast there was definitely a different forecast for the part of the strait south vs. north of Nanaimo, different conditions forecast throughout the day and a difference of 5 - 10 knots depending on time of day as well. It looks like now there is just one forecast?

Sorry I didn't explain that well.When the forecast is the same for both north and south of nanaimo they do not bother dividing it up at entrance.Rest assured that when the forecast differs for those areas they will have separate forecasts for north and south of Entrance Isl...nothing has changed its just that they don't separate when the forecast is the same(smokey and sticky)

That doesn't seem right, I don't think they'd change the layout of the websites based on whether the forecasts are the same or different?

kisielk said:
The page here only has one link for all of Strait of Georgia:

https://weather.gc.ca/marine/region_e.html?mapID=02

I remember last time I paddled on the Sunshine Coast there was definitely a different forecast for the part of the strait south vs. north of Nanaimo, different conditions forecast throughout the day and a difference of 5 - 10 knots depending on time of day as well. It looks like now there is just one forecast?
Were you pulling forecasts off the VHF while paddling? Could be they split it out differently when the forecasts differ, but combine them when they are essentially the same? On the web site, as you describe, there is only one hot link to the whole of Georgia Strait. In times of greater differences N vs. S of Nanaimo, I bet the language behind that link differentiates those two areas. Just a guess, here.

kisielk said:
That doesn't seem right, I don't think they'd change the layout of the websites based on whether the forecasts are the same or different?

They do.

When the forecast is the same, my bookmark (that should take me directly to North of Nanaimo) does not work. When the forecast differs again, the bookmark takes me to the right place.

Never been able to figure out why they change the format of the website, but it does happen.

Back