• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Suggestions for Replacement Perimeter Line

Mowog73

Paddler
Over the winter, I'm planning to replace the perimeter lines. Do you folks have any suggestions for type of material to use and sources? I think some new boats come with reflective perimeter lines, which might be a nice upgrade if possible/available.

Last edited:
I've bought line from The Chandlery in Ottawa - mail ordered at resonable cost.
https://www.thechandleryonline.com/index.php?cPath=9

Reflective line is harder to find. Lawson Glowire is often mentioned online for guyline diameters; they also make 5mm. However, whenever I've looked it seems to be out of stock.

Rigging my boats these days, I use Amsteel (7/64", 1600# break strength) inside 1/4" black plastic irrigation tubing.
Larger tubing over standard deck lines makes them much easier to grab, too.

I've used quite a lot of Samson Trophy braid (black) in both 1/4" and 3/16", too.

One idea to consider: Make your perimeter lines a different colour from the shock cords (and rudder lines if they are above-deck), so that swimmers and folks you're assisting in re-entry won't 'grab the wrong one'.

I've found that deck lines any less than 6mm in diameter are tough to hang onto, so that's the size I use.

I've also added RED plastic tubing over the lines near the cockpit, where a paddler I'm assisting to re-enter can hold. It's pretty easy to direct them to grab the 'red things' and for that reason I'm starting to replace the end toggles with red-coloured handles.

Regarding the reflective traces, I haven't found cordage that is big enough so I forgo that option and just apply reflective patches on the boat. With a kayak we aren't short of surfaces to use, unlike reflective tent guy-lines for example.

Thanks for the suggestions, great to see so many Canadian-sources. Thanks for the comment about polyester cord being UV resistant, that's good to know.

I like the idea of the plastic tubing over the perimeter line, I'll incorporate that suggestion.

Back