• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Summer 2021 Clayoquot Sound paddling

Nick Heath

Paddler
Do WCP members have experience of paddling in the area of Vargas I after the announcement by the Ahousaht First Nation that a $15/day 'voluntary' user fee be imposed, along with access changes to some sites?
I'm both curious and concerned about a possible bad precedent having being set after the area commercial operators caved on this demand in Spring 2021, and without the independent paddling community being consulted, or so it seems to me.

Attachments

• vargas.PNG
    vargas.PNG
    321.7 KB · Views: 193
Maybe an independent small boat operator that was contracted to get site surveying and info in particular areas.
Funding from more than one source would be necessary [even could be by the operator or associates as recreation] so the info was not monopolized.

The info could be considered like any government map, municipal map, street map, fishing map, commercial guide book, or commercial map. It would be independent or at arm's length from BCMTNA.

Maybe an independent small boat operator that was contracted to get site surveying and info in particular areas.
Funding from more than one source would be necessary [even could be by the operator or associates as recreation] so the info was not monopolized.

The info could be considered like any government map, municipal map, street map, fishing map, commercial guide book, or commercial map. It would be independent or at arm's length from BCMTNA.
What kind of information would you expect the contractor to obtain? Technical info about the sites or info about the political operations of the fees? Technical info is available in various paper book sources. Experiences re fees and fn interactions would need to be based on multiple first hand experiences and might depend on a persons willingness to share them publicly.

From that type of 'contractor', one would simply want relevant technical info that is not available. Judgement based on it is another dimension.

Do WCP members have experience of paddling in the area of Vargas I after the announcement by the Ahousaht First Nation that a $15/day 'voluntary' user fee be imposed, along with access changes to some sites?
I'm both curious and concerned about a possible bad precedent having being set after the area commercial operators caved on this demand in Spring 2021, and without the independent paddling community being consulted, or so it seems to me.
Nick,

I was on Vargas two weeks ago for 5 days on a PC L3 Skills course and yes, the stewardship fee is still being requested, however I think that situation might have thickened financially, if not politically, this year. You might want to check with some local kayak outfits in the region (SKILS, Tofino Sea Kayaking, Paddle West) to find out more details.

Re technical info: There is some good info available in paper books such as Snowden's and Kimantas'. But i think out of print. They do show some sites that are not shown on the bc marine trail network. I think some were shown at one time but have been removed. There appears to be no published reason for not showing them. We can speculate that someone doesn't want them listed. Since it's been about 10 years since I've been in the area i don't have any recent personal info but am interested in this discussion because I would like to go back there. I'm particularly interested in the stewardship fee and how it is being enforced. It seems hard to get info on the web. Even official info like bc parks is not very forthcoming. I can only guess at the reasons why people haven't posted first hand info. There must be people who know something and i hope some are here and willing to share.

... They do show some sites that are not shown on the bc marine trail network. I think some were shown at one time but have been removed. There appears to be no published reason for not showing them. We can speculate that someone doesn't want them listed. ...

I think this is a subject for another thread but is something I've wondered about for awhile. There doesn't seem to be any "official" mention or explanation for sites disappearing from the bcmt map. I remember many years ago hearing the one reason for the bcmt was to document all the sites that have been used by kayakers over the years so that with increasing use of these areas kayaker advocates would have a place at the table when the government and industry were making plans.

Sorry for the hijack, if there's much response I'll start a new thread...

I think this is a subject for another thread but is something I've wondered about for awhile. There doesn't seem to be any "official" mention or explanation for sites disappearing from the bcmt map. I remember many years ago hearing the one reason for the bcmt was to document all the sites that have been used by kayakers over the years so that with increasing use of these areas kayaker advocates would have a place at the table when the government and industry were making plans.

Sorry for the hijack, if there's much response I'll start a new thread...

westcoastpaddler.com/community/threads/sites-disappearing-from-bcmt-map.9228/

That's not really a discussion thread, just a long policy announcement from BCMTN. 'Fait accompli; please donate...'
I think there is a bigger question here. I'll apologize first it this seems blunt but I do have sincere respect for fn. The question is about public access to public land. If it is crown land then it should be accessible to the public. If it is an issue of land claim then the government should take a lead to resolve the matter and define the parameters of use. A practical solution would allow for some kind of public use. But there should be some kind of official position presented so "joe kayaker" is treated equitably compared to "mega corp luxury outfitter". Btw this is much different than the kind of situation occuring elsewhere where private interests are aquiring land rights then restricting public access. In this case fn do have legitimate interest but people desire and deserve clarity and openness.

Here is some up to date (Oct 9) information on paddling in the Tofino area which maybe helpful. The map mentioned below is also attached here as a jpg.

Map:

Designated areas for paddling + camping:
https://tourismtofino.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/Vargas-2021-Kayak-Map2.pdf

Stewardship Fee:

The permit fees are $15 per person per calendar day. For example, if camping for one night, fee is $30.

The primary function of the program is to assess and improve watershed health and salmon restoration. The MHSS Stewardship Guardians will have an active presence in Ahousaht hahou/thee.

Permits can be purchased in Tofino:

Lone Cone Hostel + MHSS office
Unit 9 - 368 Main Street (the Shore building on the pier – near Ocean Outfitters)
info@mhssahousaht.ca

Vargas-2021-Kayak-Map2.jpg
Vargas-2021-Kayak-Map2.jpg

Back