• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Swallow 2p Tent

This is a pretty neat discussion.
The Clip Flashlight is not a free standing tent but it'll stay pretty stable with just 4 stakes losely in.
If money was no object i'd get the following.
A) Sierra designs Hyperlight 2-about as light as my CF but free standing and roomier,though the floor shape is a bit goofy.
B) MSR Missing Link-i wouldn't want it as my ONLY tent but i'd love to have one for lightweight backpacking.
From what i've noticed, a lot of the backpacking tent sites simply don't have the room to pitch a big tent, and often if they do, you wouldn't really have enough room between the tent and the bushes to comfortably use both exits and both vestibules.

Re: Tents

mac said:
What about this one? Big Angnes Parkview 2, www.campmor.com item# 24960. Large hooped vestibule, 78in ( 7ft 6in) long. The poles? double hub? Is this a quality tent, the name sounds like something i put on the BBQ.

Mac,

Here are a couple of independent reviews of the BA Parkview 2. They’re generally favorable in their opinions of the Parkview although one reviewer had a minor issue with the main vestibule.

Backpack Gear Test

Last time that I checked, Capital Iron had one set up and on sale for $299.00 + tax.

I just got back from MEC (went to buy a yellow foamie) and took some time to look at the tents.
Mac, i am really thinking the Wanderer 2 tent is THE one to get if you want room and 2 doors and not worried about weight. VERY roomy with 2 BIG vestibules, lots of head room(i'm 6'1 and could sit up anywhere in the tent with almost a foot of headroom remaining).
Tarn 3 would be my choice for Big and Roomy because i'm a fan of the single door.
And i'm officially adding the MSR Hubba to my own wish list.

I agree with rider -- the Wanderer 2 is a tent that you should consider as well, Mac. It's a very roomy two person tent with two good sized vestibles. It's not light and it doesn't pack up small, but it's a very good bang for the buck at $210.

To answer your previous question, I own 4 tents -- an MEC TGV two person winter tent, a Sierra Designs 3 person Comet (not produced anymore), a Sierra Designs 3 person Antares, and a North Face Heron 33 (which is rated for 3 but two is more realistic).

I had opportunity to use the Antares this past weekend and was quite pleased -- it has all the same quality and features that Mark mentioned about the Meteor Light but it's a lot bigger -- and it's built quite well. I'm pretty sure that this tent will endure longer than most of the new "ultralight" tents that use featherlight materials and components. The Antares also comes with a gear attic (a shelf that attaches to the top of the inside of the tent), a footprint (that seems to fit a lot better than Mark's), and a couple of drink holders that hang from the tent ceiling (these didn't even get packed on the last trip).

Since the two doors on the tent are completely mesh, this tent ventilates extremely well. It's also very easy and fast to set up.

The split vestibles are really nice -- you can use one side as an entrance, and store stuff on the other side, and if you need stuff that's buried deep in the vestible just unzip the door on that side and whatever you need is right handy -- and you get this feature on both sides of the tent. With the included attic, the tent offers ample storage pockets which is a nice thing to have.

I didn't have any rain or wind this weekend so the only thing I can report on is the livability of the tent and I've got absolutely nothing negative to say about this aspect of the tent -- it's a very comfortable and spacious environment for two.

I'll take some photos and will post them on the site as soon as I have a chance.

Dan_Millsip said:
I had opportunity to use the Antares this past weekend and was quite pleased -- it has all the same quality and features that Mark mentioned about the Meteor Light but it's a lot bigger -- [snip]

I didn't have any rain or wind this weekend so the only thing I can report on is the livability of the tent and I've got absolutely nothing negative to say about this aspect of the tent -- it's a very comfortable and spacious environment for two.
That is a huge tent. I imagine you could spend time in while pinned down and not get claustrophobic. I'll be interested in what you think of it after riding out a blow.

tents

Correction 7ft6in is 90in. Batstar, thanks for the review site info. Its funny how you know whats on the show room floors in Victoria! Thats where I saw the tent, B.A.parkv2. I like the tent and the hooped pole vestibule. Any comments about this hooped vest? After reading the review I went back down for another look. The poles are made by mountain hardware , the shape of the main pole is an H shape with two join hubs. The two doors are all mesh to look out and are cut low to the bath tub floor so not much door sill to step over.On other tents the sill is to high.The negative comment said that the big vest side, resticted the view, the material is joined in the middle at the top so is designed to open one side at a time , or if both sides are open then it is pegged out in the middle, or you could unpeg and throw it over top of the tent. I think Dan liked this type of vest door that opens on one side. Rider, I am not as concerned about weight as I only need to put it into a kayak , you are also going to use your tent for backpacking. The hyperlight2 is nice and 115in long! You do bring up a good point about camp site area space, there must be a size that is too big. What size is that? Rider, you are a fan of the single door, why is that? The Mountain.H.W.Alcove2gt(one door) looks good.

Fan of the single door for the same backpacking campsite size reasons, the spot we pitched the CF at golden ears would've been too narrow to have two vestibules out the side-one would be right into a bush, i think the spot we picked at Lindeman lake last year we'd have the same problem. Lots of sites are big enough, some aren't. Now, if i was getting a single tent i'd like a side entry like the Hubba, was so comfy to get into at the store!
It kinda depends on what you do with a tent. Is it a base of operations or a place to crawl into and sleep. To me its a place to crawl in and sleep so i don't really need the most 'livable' tent out there,just has to be well made and fit 2 people. not the ideal basecamp tent. Tarn 3 would be my choice for a 2 person tent if not for backpacking. its roomy, not too heavy, VERY high waterproofness specs(10000mm floor,2000mm fly. typically most decent tents are ~1500-3000 floor, 1000-1500 fly)

rider said:
It kinda depends on what you do with a tent. Is it a base of operations or a place to crawl into and sleep. To me its a place to crawl in and sleep so i don't really need the most 'livable' tent out there, [snip]
That's where I am, also. In the rain forest climate we have, with bear avoidance needs, and considering low-impact use rules for most coastal campsites, I usually place a tarp somewhat remotely from my tent site for the kitchen and a general lounging area for when the weather craps out.

If I really need to hole up in the tent, I just crawl in the sack and read a book. Oherwise, I'm under the tarp in bad weather and on the beach or on a point if it's nice.

A tarp opens up so many options and separates all the food stuff from a tent so well, I always pitch one unless I'm just out for an overnighter and the weather is totally brilliant.

For a solo pitch, the MSR Hubba is pretty hard to beat for that style of kayak camping.

tents

Rider/Dan, You're recommending the Wanderer 2 tent. So, which one, the netting one?

If you want it only for the summer, get the mesh. If you want to use it spring, summer, and fall, get the regular.

I like the MEC tents -- they're well made and are a good value. IanC has a Wanderer 2 and has lots good to say about it, perhaps if he's reading here he can offer more insight.

I'd go with the mesh('netting') version. It's too heavy to backpack up the mountains in early season,for everething else you'll probably be happier with good ventilation than that extra bit of warmth.

tents

Hi all,

I'm new here, so i thought a brief bio may be in order.

Currently, I am one of the dudes that deals with your defective stuff when you send it back to the mec. I have been working warranty for almost ten years, so I see what breaks and i hear what folks who use gear say when they are not happy about it.

When i split from the city, I'm a hiker, kayaker, canoeist, stargazer, cyclist and traveller and I have owned a few different shelters. Currently, the backbones of the bunch are a netting wanderer 2 and a big tarp.

The wanderer vents in the to-the-ground fly allow for sweet airflow in the rain. The two doors are a godsend (no one crawling over me to go out for a pee in the middle of the night) and I love the feeling with the fly off, watching the sky throughout the evening when the weather is nice and the planets are beaming (I'll be looking at some in said tent tonight from the sunshine coast 5 hours after posting this). I also like the brainless set-up - all the poles are connected to one central hub.

My wife and I were holed up in the Charlottes in a Moss Starlet with one door during some crazy weather for 3 days when i decided that 2 doors and a bit more space is a must (especially one a 2+ week trip).

After a decade of selling tents, I still cannot think of any good reason to recommend the regular wanderer over the netting. It's not like that thin nylon is going to keep you that much warmer or protect you from cougars. If you keep velcro away from the netting, it's fine. It's a touch heavier than most comparible tents - most likely due to the skookum pu coating and plentiful fly - factors that i considered selling features when i shopped around.

When I am paddling alone, I usually use a biv sack or a hammock, just for ease of use. If there are no bugs, I am in my bag under a tarp or the stars.

Good luck and happy camping whatever you choose.

James

tents

I picked up a mesh netting wanderer2, to set it up at home and check it out! There were two choices of colors for the fly cover, mustard and driftwood. I got the driftwood.

tents

I will be keeping the wanderer2 netting mesh tent. Thank you all for your help in selecting a tent.

Astoriadave said:
Thanks for the beta, jagir. I've become a convert to mesh for everything but snow camping.

Me too. No need for mesh when there's no bugs, just a shovel and a biv-sack and/or tarp

Back