• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

swartz to sturdies day trip

explorermike

Paddler
Last weekend wanted to get out in some open water, so took a stab at a day paddle from Swartz to Sturdies Bay ferry docks. It worked pretty well, requiring about 5 hours, including a lunch stop on Prevost. I think it's about 16 nm.
Route Plan:
- depart swartz bay
- cross colburne channel (where the ferries come through)
- skirt west side of knapp
- skirt west side of portland
- cross over to eleanor pt on saltspring
- round beaver pt, and then cross over to prevost
- skirt east side of prevost
- travel half way up north side of prevost (insurance against current)
- cross over to galiano
- ride the incoming tide current through Active pass, hugging Galiano shore
- arrive sturdies bay

Lots of small boat traffic on the route, but only have to account for ferries right at Swartz Bay and in Active Pass. Generally, I suspect that going south to north, you can enjoy the wind behind you. Ferries to Swartz depart from Tsawwassen on the hour most days, so it's easy to schedule that side. However, getting off the ferry, walking around and launching will probably consume 45 min to 1 hour. On the Sturdies side, I was informed by locals that walk on reservations are a good idea, as sometimes they fill up the boat, and you could get left behind.

This route offers quite a bit of variety, with some open crossings, and rocky shorelines exposed to a quite a bit of fetch. So if the wind picks up, it has the option to get lively. Also, the combination of Active Pass currents and frequent ferries coming through, means that paddlers should have their rough water / rolling skills well in order. The currents weren't too severe at 3 kts max while I was in there - but it's definitely a thing to plan around, as things can happen fast in a current, and the ferries whip right through.

A possible second option, if Active is not desired or current direction is wrong, would be to end at Village Bay instead - which would mean crossing from Prevost over to North Pender. But would need to stay pretty sharp doing that, as ferries coming south out of Active could pop out of the pass, only a couple of miles away.

Sorry, didn't have a camera with me, so no pix. But if you can recommend other interesting day runs, with some good looking shoreline and a bit of exposure to wind and weather, please share. Also, I'll be doing this run again, so if you'd be interested to jump in, please drop me a note.

Regards,

Mike

Hi Mike,
So, did you use that motion-sensor gate between the ferry parking lot and the dock launch at Swartz Bay? Just wondering how that worked for you since we are planning on using it in a couple of weeks.
Thanks,
Kathy

Hey Mike, good thing you had the Active Pass sorted out, one time I did that trip but I royally mixed up my info and ended up trying to skirt the eddies with main current running 5+knots against me. Except I did it a relaxed overnighter with camp on Saltspring near Ruckle campground(and i did it in an 11 ft boat)
Horseshoe Bay to Langdale on Sunshine Coast makes a pretty good extended day trip, water around Pt Cowan on Bowen can get gnarly at times.But the ferry ride back from Langdale is free.
Going around Thormanby islands on Sunshine Coast is a pretty cool day trip with potential for bumpy water(usually it's pretty calm but I have seen it with 6+ ft chop) Parking is easy and ferry fairly cheap since you only pay one way.
Swartz Bay to Sydney Spit,to Rum island and back is a nice day trip too if you're so inclined,but a nicer overnighter if Rum isn't full.

Kasey, the motion sensor gate was dead. I wandered up to the ticket booths and they got me wise to the bike path. For the day trip, was OK to lift the yak / cart over the staggered barrier pipes.

Mike

Dan_Millsip said:
Kasey said:
Just wondering how that worked for you since we are planning on using it in a couple of weeks.
explorermike said:
Kasey, the motion sensor gate was dead.
I predict an upcoming adventure...

Always up for an adventure!

The gate was expected to be repaired by yesterday though so hopefully unpacking and packing kayaks isn't the adventure...

Back