• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

The rules of circumnavigation: Are there any?

ken_vandeburgt

Paddler
"The rules of circumnavigation: Are there any? Do we make them up to suit our purpose? Does anyone care?"

http://www.cackletv.com/2012/02/10/the- ... avigation/

comoxpaddler said:
There should be a book of rules for this stuff.

Magellan's expedition of 1519–1522 became the first expedition to sail from the Atlantic Ocean into the Pacific Ocean (then named "peaceful sea" by Magellan; the passage being made via the Strait of Magellan), and the first to cross the Pacific. It also completed the first circumnavigation of the Earth, although Magellan himself did not complete the entire voyage, being killed during the Battle of Mactan in the Philippines.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferdinand_Magellan

I'll posit rule number one that it does not count as a circumnavigation unless you live through it. :wink:

I can lay claim to having circumnavigated Galiano Island ... but that is about it. My purpose for being on the water is not now nor has it ever been to grab for a brass ring. I go out there to explore and enjoy the great outdoors. Too, I sometimes miss being at sea and kayaking somewhat fills that desire. I am fascinated by the adventures of paddlers who really stretch the boundaries but I cannot claim to understand the motivation.

Interesting question.

I think there's circumnavigation, and then there's circumnavigated. The former being done all at once in one uninterrupted session or trip, the latter being done all at once or in segments. Just my opinion on defining the two -- not that it really counts for much.

I believe you have to bring or catch your own food, materials and boat.

We circumnavigated Prevote lol. Our next goal is Nootka, my dream is Van. Island some day, baby steps :) .. I'd think a true circumnavigation would be uninterrupted.

I find extreme circumnavigation very fascinating, I've been reading Freya's journey with great interest!

Humm... interesting question.

I would claim I have completed a 'Circumnavigation' of Moresby Island (Haida Gwaii)
- Single uninterupted trip
- Self-supported (mind you we did collect a few plants here and there???)
- Included the outside of prominent islands which most consider part of the 'island' (IE: Kunghit Island and Cape St. James)

However I am only part-way through a circumnavigation of Van-Isle... and since (at this point) I would have done it in stages, would I still claim to have completed it... probably yes... but would include the caveat that it was done in-stages.

I think its hard to say a 'circumnavigation' MUST Be done completely without getting more food etc
- reasonable to say you must carry food/supplies to last for a significant amount of time (ie: cheating to meet up with a support team EVERY DAY, and paddle an empty boat)
- reasonable to resupply when the trip length is very long (ie to paddle around South America, we all expect Freya to resupply!!!)
- No sailors from the days of old (thinking Cook / Vancouver / Quadra, etc etc) would have completed a journey without resupply

Uninterupted:
- This too is hard... if you think of folks like Magellan who 'Circumnavigated' the globe, he would have stopped many times.
- It is prudent to stop when weather conditions dictate - sometimes for an entire season
- However, to stop, hop on a plane, go home for a bit, fly back and start again... hummmmm......

An associated problem ...

Circumnavigating an island offers no geometrical ambiguity. However, people here in North Idaho speak of 'circumnavigating' our local lake, Lake Pend Oreille. And they mean by boat, not on foot. So the distance from shore makes a big difference. It could be a 110 mile paddle, sticking close to shore ... or a 110 yard paddle, merely ensuring that you do a complete loop, ending up where you started. This is not a sensible use of the word. 'Circumnavigation' should imply going around the outside of whatever the target is.

Back