Thickening gel coat

Tangler

Paddler
I need to make a repair to the gel coat on one of my boats. The wound has a bit of depth to it and I was wondering about thickening the gel coat to help fill the hole.
Any thoughts on the subject?

JohnAbercrombie

Paddler
I've thickened gelcoat with fumed silica (aka Cabosil or 'antisag'). It worked OK but when I sanded it, it never got really smooth or polished up properly.

So, after that experience, I just put thicker applications of gelcoat on, where possible.

Remember if you are 'layering' multiple applications of gelcoat: Use unwaxed gelcoat if you can't sand between applictions.

Reactions: CPS

OrcaBoats

Paddler
Gel coat is pretty thick, but just leave it in the cup until it starts to set up, keep checking and stirring then apply it. This way it will not run.

Tangler

Paddler
Thank you for the information.
The gel coat I found called itself a paste so maybe it is already thicker than the runny stuff I remember.
I guess that, as ever, patience will be a virtue. :)

Mowog73

Paddler
About a month ago, I fixed a spot on my wife kayak that went through to the kevlar (previous repair done badly, part of the reason for the low asking price) and a bit road rash at the stern of mine. I bought one of Spectrum Colour's gelcoat past repair kit from a local boat shop. Kind of pricey for 2 oz but the gelcoat paste worked well and it matched perfectly to the white gelcoat on my wife's Solstice GTS. I can' seem to find the final, after sanding pictures, but these should given an idea of the repair work.

IMG_20210407_130025_7.jpgIMG_20210407_133408_6.jpgIMG_20210407_130034_3.jpgIMG_20210407_133415_5.jpg