thinking of switching gps units

Doug

Paddler
Hi,

I have a GPSmap 60Cx. I like it, it seems to do a lot of things well. However I'm thinking about switching it to a smaller Garmin eTrex Summit HC and I'm looking for a bit of advice.

What features on the 60Cx would be most missed by moving to a Summit? The 60Cx has added features such as:accepts sd cards, auto routing, tide tables (but I have BlueCharts), custom POI, bigger screen (but resolution is about the same). The nice thing about the Summit is that it has an electronic compass and barometric altimeter. This is the main reason I would like to switch, I'd like an altimeter for hiking.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks!

Astoriadave

Paddler
Sure; sell me your 60Cx when you are done with it. It is a killer unit. :wink: :lol:

More seriously: does the Summit have the improved sensitivity of the 60Cx? IIRC, the latter was upgraded from the 60C so that it would be more usable when in tree cover. That is the one negative aspect of my 60C, but not a big enough problem for on-the-water-use. If I used it while hiking, I would definitely upgrade.

Doug

Paddler
Hi Dave,

Yes, The "H" designation on the new Garmin units refer to a high-sensitivity receiver. From what I've read, it's a different chip than what the 60Cx has but they have similar sensitivity (MTK vs. Sirf chip ??).

Sure, if you would like to buy my GPSmap 60Cx let me know.

thanks,
Doug