Top 5 class 1 paddles/trips

Erdm

Rephrasing an older post:

What are your top 5 class 1 paddles/trips in the lower mainland and vancouver island?

Dan_Millsip

Paddler
Not sure what you mean by "Class 1" but here's a list of some easier paddles in the Lower Mainland with descriptions:

http://www.westcoastpaddler.com/gallery/index.php?cat=2

Note that Pitt Lake and Indian Arm to Granite Falls are not what I would classify as "novice" paddles. In particular, Pitt Lake can get quite nasty very quickly at times. I would suggest that anywhere in Howe Sound is definitely not a good choice for novice paddlers. English Bay is also a place that can be nasty depending upon the weather.

While not on the linked list, Deep Cove to Twin Islands and Jug Beach is a good day paddle suitable for novices.

And as I mention in your previous (and very similar) post, it's a good idea to visit a local paddling shop for some basic lessons if you don't any paddling experience.

Water Horse

Paddler
I have a singular experience. This last summer we took a trip to Vancouver Island and I I did some day trips from our home base at Long Beach Golf camp ground just south of Tofino.

- Launched from MacKenzie Beach and head west to Vargas Island - I chose the open ocean side of the island because it was more interesting territory.
- Launched through the surf at Long Beach (that was a blast) and headed north towards Cox Beach.
- Launched at Little Beach in Ucuelet and headed out into the open ocean through confused seas at the mouth of the inlet and to Ucuelet Light house.
- Launched from Ucuelet harbour and explored south into the islands outside of Ucuelet Sound (you could continue to the Broken Islands but I didn't).

These all seemed class 1 to me but I don't know how these short jaunts compare with others ...I found those great! These would certainly depend on ocean weather and could turn nasty if the weather turned foul. It was great just probing along the open ocean coast without committing to an extended trip. The extended trip will have to wait for another time.

geri

Paddler
Sorry, this is not on the Lower Mainland or on the Island but have to mention Desolation Sound. One can be there and be on the water within the day, beautiful scenery and new locations to visit each year. A #1 wonderful place to paddle...

Peter-CKM

Paddler
Dan_Millsip said:
Not sure what you mean by "Class 1"
I think the poster is referring to this chart, which was a response to the other thread ("smoke signals") they had posted:
http://www.skgabc.com/water-classifications.php

Challenge is that just about anything on salt water is going to be Class II.

Officially Deep Cove/Indian Arm is class II, but I suspect that is a safe protected route that should usually be an easy class II.

Astoriadave

Paddler
Erdm,

I assume you are pointed at Class 1 paddles. The Class system is an attempt to isolate the more difficult/risky from the less. As such, sometimes a Class 1 paddle will grade into a Class 2 or higher adventure as wind and current increase. Or, other things may increase the true rating.

Likewise, "average" conditions for a paddle offshore may mellow out to the point it becomes a nominal Class 1.

All which is a way of recognizing you will need to judge conditions at launch, as well pay attention to weather forecasts. If you have prepared appropriately for reentry and rescue, you should be OK.

Water Horse

Paddler
I need to revise the ratings on my paddles. According to the map my trips were all class III or class IV. There were certainly areas where the water was quite challenging.