• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Tow or Throw

cougarmeat

Paddler
Trying to start 2021 without highjacking someone’s tread. In the Gear section there was mention of Tow line or Throw line. In the past, I though Canada required a Tow line. I know many of us bought some “fanny pack” tow line. Shorter for the USA and for those of us who bought the Canadian version (15M), we put an Alpine loop in the line to shorten it up unless the extra length was necessary.

But the only time I could have used “line” assistance it would have been handier to toss it to me; i.e. a throw bag. Then later, I think it was pointed out in a WCP post that the Canadian regulation was indicating something that could be effectively tossed to another boater rather than just a tow line. And a throw bag can be used as a tow line but it’s awkward to toss a tow line.

So now I have both. Unfortunately, that means “I” have the appropriate gear but often my paddling companions do not. An obvious solution is to find new paddling partners who believe in safety and think not only about themselves but also about others on the adventure. [warning: potential political statement] Like wearing a mask - it’s not so much that it protects you, it’s that it protects others.

So what is best, tow or throw, and would either one make Canadian Regulations happen?

A 15m “buoyant heaving line“ is the requirement. Sea kayakers, however, are not in a good position to heave a line.

When solo, I carry a 15m throw line. When I paddle with others, I wear a tow belt. The line in my tow belt is 15m and buoyant, so I am technically compliant.

Cheers,
Andrew

Throwing from a seated in kayak position is pretty ineffective. Little range or accuracy, even if you practice.

And presumably you are throwing because the rescuer doesn't want to/can't go to the person who they would be throwing to. Keep in mind, that if the thrower and receiver are both in kayaks, when you go to pull in, the thrower and receiver will likely both move toward each other. If the receiver is in the water (a swimmer) but the thrower in a kayak, when they pull the line in, the thrower will go to the swimmer as the swimmer is pretty much locked in place.

So, ignoring the laws, most sea kayakers just have tow lines.

On laws, the US has no requirements. Canada does, and is easily met by getting something like one of North Waters Regulation Tow products (made to meet the requirements). Even for those of us in the States, the North Water products are quite good - I've been using the Micro Tow for years.

On laws, the US has no requirements. Canada does, and is easily met by getting something like one of North Waters Regulation Tow products (made to meet the requirements).
The regulation requirement could be met with a 15m length of cheap yellow rope in a stuff sack.
I have a couple of those that I can throw in the compartment of a 'loaner boat' if I'm taking a guest out for a quiet paddle.

(I wear my tow belt almost every time I paddle, since the end of the line also doubles as a paddle tether. Also, the first time I needed/could have used a tow belt, mine was at home, and I promised myself that wouldn't happen again.)

BTW, Level Six also sells tow and throw gear, at prices that are a bit better than the $$$ North Water equipment.

Any 15m rope which floats should be OK. A tow-line is much more versatile in a rescue situation. A whitewater throw-bag is a different beast, though, and needs to deploy as you throw it. I would expect that paddling to a swimmer would be faster for many of us than throwing a line accurately.

I probably reported this before but in my one, “I could use a tow” situation, I had entered a narrow passageway between some rocks to see if there was a beach around the corner. The rocks were covered with sharp shells so I couldn’t easily push myself back out. And the current was coming in so what little progress I made was eliminated with the next incoming wave. My two friends - neither with any line for towing or throwing - just watched. I imagine if they both had a line, Person A would attach to person B and have person B paddle in toward me. With the line (quick release of course) attached to the paddler, both arms are available to back paddle. When person B would reach me, I would be tossed a line and then person A would back paddle, getting person B clear; then both A and B would back paddle, getting me clear.

As they did nothing - I guess I’m still stuck there.

No, I carefully timed my back pushes and hand placements and slowly worked my way back out. No damage to boat or gloves. Lesson learned.

Reactions: CPS
As I've speculated before, the throwline requirement for all kayaks probably came from a well-meaning but ill-informed civil servant. Throwlines have a real place in river kayaking, where they're typically used from shore to swimmer, not kayak to kayak. (It's actually common for line throwers to pre-position themselves on shore just downstream of a particularly gnarly river feature before the first attempter runs it.)

I've linked to it before, but in my decades of sea kayaking, I've used my throwline exactly once for anything other than suspending the centre point of a tarp. Here's the story.

Edited to clarify: I've used my towline all kinds of times while sea kayaking, both in my professional and personal paddling.

Last edited:
Back