• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Trangia 25-8.... Where to buy?

First...I am by no means a 'Hardened' multi-experienced outdoors person.

I have a MSR WhisperLite (sp?)...it comes with a thin sheet of aluminum that can be set up for wind protection...frankly, a pain in the butt!
I have also got a Primus propane burner.
I find I use the Primus burner the most...quick and easy to use.

But...in those few times when it is really windy, it appears that the Trangia wind-shield design would work very well.

I was actually looking for a new cook set when I came across this thread and thought the whole set made sense...and everything fits into 1 neat package.
I figured what the Hey...it's only money! :wink:

I can assure you one thing...I won't be buying a Hennessey Hammock.
I guess that will only give me partial access to that exclusive 'Club' that Dan mentioned. :(

ITS HERE! ITS HERE!!!!!!! It was dropped off at 11:30am this morning, just over 48 hours after I first ordered it!

The only cost necessary to be paid was my GST at $13.89, which my mother ever so kindly paid for me.

I really want to leave work early and play with it!

I actually am a hammock guy and love it and will not go back to being a ground dweller (except when I camp with my family)
but still not sure about this stove
Mike

blacksheep said:
but still not sure about this stove
Mike

Mike;
as a long time proponant of Trangia (and other alcohol stoves) i have converted a couple people into the church. a freind who's opinion i value highly, had a positive epiphany at his first outdoor exposure to my Trangia. him and i were camping on Portland last summer and as we cooked dinner and chatted he just suddenly stopped talking. he said "i just realized that we've been talking and cooking for the last half hour without haveing to shout over the roar of the stove." he bought a Trangia 27-2 the next week.

alcohol is much safer than white gas. if burning alcohol gets spilled you can put it out with water. with white gas, water will just spread the fire.

alcohol stoves take a bit longer to boil water, but what's the rush? turn your hammock upside down, sit back in it, and enjoy the peace and quiet while you wait for your water.

i could go on, but those are the biggest and best reasons to join the church. (we almost never drink koolaid 8) )

Daren.....

Houston said:
ITS HERE! ITS HERE!!!!!!!

Wow! that was quick!!

welcome to the church!! you can be in the choir, if you like. the uniform is a drysuit and a PFD. :D

Rev. DarenN.........

Not a member of the cult. Reason: I do stir fries and need high heat to achieve carmelization of yummy things to eat. That mandates burning hydrocarbons, so I am pretty much a white gas stove guy (Coleman 442 last 16 years), excepting the occasional flirtation with propane.

Going on 42 years of use of white gas stoves, backpacking and sea kayaking, with no incidents (knock wood!!) ... except for the time my bumbling brother spilled a quart of white gas into the rucksack containing the freeze-dried food for 7 of us for a week ... rendering all of it inedible.* The white gas penetrated the polyethylene ziploc bags. I think denatured alcohol would not penetrate the ziplocs, but for sure I would not want to chance it, so spills like my brother's may not be harmless with alcohol.

*I tried some contaminated hot cereal, hoping the boiling process in cooking would get rid of the white gas -- nope -- nastiest burps of the century. Hopeless. We ate a lot of fish that trip. :oops: :cry:

Astoriadave said:
I do stir fries and need high heat to achieve carmelization of yummy things to eat.

Dave;
i have a beercan burner that will do any stirfry you can come up with. makes a ton of heat very quickly, but uses quite a bit of fuel.

you'd be amazed at the variety of alcohol burners that are being made by DIYers. some of them very high-tech. i've built a self pressurizing coil type burner from a glass jam jar and some soft aluminum tubing. very similar to a laboratory burner. almost as loud as a dragonfly :wink:

DarenN.......

Let me interject that alcohol is not necessarily "safer" than other fuels. There are conditions in which alcohol is positively dangerous.

To wit: a young lady aboard a sailboat with an alcohol stove primed the stove and began chatting with a friend. When she looked back at the stove she thought that she had waited too long and the flame had gone out so she poured another shot of alcohol. Big mistake. Serious burns all over her bikini-clad body and in an isolated anchorage. Alcohol flame is difficult to see even in relatively dark places.

This was a pressurized alcohol stove and non-pressurized stoves may not need to be primed but the difficulty in seeing the flame still remains and can present a hazard. Especially in a confined space. (Where the fumes from alcohol will also be obnixious.)

I'll let Kruger, a chemist, deal with the BTUs of alcohol as a fuel and whether it can caramelize his stir fry. I do cup'o'noodles. Two minutes of noise and, viola!, it's dinner.

Craig Jungers
Moses Lake, WA

Helen said:
We'd be happy to stock parts that get requested semi-regularly but otherwise we'll bring them in by special order for folks on our next shipment. Supposedly I can get stuff from their shipping facility in Utah to Port Angeles in 2 days, so nobody is going to have to wait long.

I'd appreciate a little market research help...
Is anyone interested in the gas burner?
What about HA over the UL aluminum?
Sets with or without kettle?
Billie?
Stove only?

Thanks!

Hi Helen

I'd be interested in the

Billy ( for 25 series )
Multi-Disc
Tundra Lid

And possibly, at a later date, the

Multi fuel Burner
Gas Burner

Gord

oldsailor said:
Let me interject that alcohol is not necessarily "safer" than other fuels. There are conditions in which alcohol is positively dangerous.

(Where the fumes from alcohol will also be obnixious.)

I do cup'o'noodles. Two minutes of noise and, viola!, it's dinner.

Craig Jungers
Moses Lake, WA

Craig;
your example of the stove on the sailboat does not show that alcohol is dangerous. it shows an uninformed lack of good judgment on the part of the operater.

what fumes? i burn about a gallon a month, in my kitchen, testing DIY burners. there are no fumes.

i'll see your two minutes, and raise you four quiet minutes and, viola!, it's dinner.

i've already crunched all the numbers and done all the testing regarding BTU potentials of different alcohol fuels.

DarenN......

DarenN said:
welcome to the church!! you can be in the choir, if you like. the uniform is a drysuit and a PFD. :D Rev. DarenN.........

And let us not forget the black rubber skirt...
After an autumn canoe trip in the Bowrons with a buddy who had one, I liked the quietness of the Trangia so much I bought a cookset for solo trips when I don't do so much fancy cookin'. I will be bringing my roaring Dragonfly to Beaumont for the baking. Does that make me the Trangia church equivalent of those Christians who only seem to make it to church for Xmas and Easter?

BTY, since some folks on the list have expressed interest in the Trangia Gas Burner, I'll mention that MEC stocks it (Product Number: 5009-503). It's not stocked at most of the retail stores, but Order Sales will ship it free to your local store.

your example of the stove on the sailboat does not show that alcohol is dangerous. it shows an uninformed lack of good judgment on the part of the operater.

I don't want to get into a raging argument over this, but my example absolutely does show that alcohol can be dangerous. Because of a momentary loss of concentration on the part of a person who cooked on an alcohol stove every day, she had to be airlifted back to the USA for medical treatment. She couldn't see the flame and thought it had gone out. This scenario has happened to enough people over the years to cause most yacht manufacturers to move away from alcohol stoves to propane. A propane stove, 30 years ago, was thought to be the worst possible device on a boat because the vapors are heavier than air and could sink into the bilge of a boat and explode. Now, with remotely operated fail-safe solenoid valves, vented lockers and propane sniffers, they are in common use. Are they dangerous if not used with good judgement? Sure. But everyone has a lapse in judgement and attention now and then.

Operating an alcohol stove in a camping environment rather than in the galley of a boat may not present the same level of hazard. For one thing, in an open environment a person can probably move out of the way more quickly... and farther. But there still exists the danger of not being able to see the low blue flame - especially where lighting is bright - and could result in a burn if mishandled. It's something users of alcohol stoves should at least be aware of.

what fumes? i burn about a gallon a month, in my kitchen, testing DIY burners. there are no fumes.

Burning stove fuel alcohol irritates my eyes and nose. I don't know what it is, but it's annoying to me even if it doesn't have an identifiable smell. You might be used to it or simply not sensitive to it. Or perhaps you use a fuel that is not the same as that sold for most alcohol stoves. But for many people - including me - the burning of alcohol creats what *I* would call "fumes".

Craig Jungers
Msoes Lake, WA

Dave the chemist here. Don't think anything can be burned without a good chance of some non-CO2, non-H20 gaseous products being produced ("fumes" if you like, although "fume" is a pejorative word). You kind of have to pick which off-gas (= fume) you least hate.

For hydrocarbon fuels, CO is the one to hate ... big time ... it is odorless and will disable you or kill you in short order. Cumulative exposure increases your sensitivity, making you more likely to go under (one of the other reasons not to smoke cigarettes).

For alcohol-based fuels, CO is less of a likelihood (long boring explanation omitted), but aldehydes of various molecular sizes are produced under conditions of incomplete burning. Some of these are intensely obnoxious, with considerable variation in individual sensitivity, so what makes one person puke is relatively benign to someone else. I think this may account for Craig's distaste for alcohol off-gases. Or, that could have been due to the type of denaturant in the alcohol he burned. Denaturants are not well-regulated outside the US, Canada, and the EU.

As to the "invisible flame" hazard, that problem is easily solved by adding a dash of salt to each container of alcohol fuel just after you open it and begin to use it. The salt, in ppm quantities, will color the flame bright yellow, and prevent inadvertent exposure, or the problem Craig describes. Actually ethanol (aka ethyl alcohol, denatured alcohol, etc.) burns with a much more visible flame than the 1-carbon alcohol (methanol; aka methyl alcohol, aka methylated spirits, etc.). Methanol is so invisible that now and then, in the bad old days of fuel-powered dragsters, a driver would get doused with the stuff, it would ignite, and no one could tell the guy was on fire!! Except by the heat waves, his screaming, and the charring and blistering. Bad stuff, and a damn good reason for using ethanol and not methanol.

I'm a hydrocarbon Druid, but there is room in the great conclave of fuel-burning peoples for infidel alcoholists ... errr, I mean brother alcohol burners!!! :wink: :wink: :lol:

here's the thing:
meth based fuels run at a BTU potential around 10,000, while eth based run about 13,000. we can't get eth based in Canadialand. :twisted: gvmnt.

i've got some of my DIY burners running at nearly 50% efficiencey. this means that i can boil 2cups of water on 1/2 oz of fuel. 50% might not seem like much, but try it yourself, it ain't easy.

Dave; put your lab back together and see what kind of efficiencey your getting out of your hydrocarbon stove. not a challenge, i'd really like to know.

Daren.......

DarenN said:
Dave; put your lab back together and see what kind of efficiencey your getting out of your hydrocarbon stove. not a challenge, i'd really like to know..
Man, I think those days are gone. Might be easier to bring my stove to your lab ... which is going to be "on my way" in a year or so: my son and his Canadian-born wife (formerly of North Van) are going to resettle somewhere over in SE BC. I think he is "emigrating." Not sure what that means, but the two of them are both nurses, so maybe employment will not be impossible for the both.

I've sent the following note to the folks who have sent me Trangia orders, but FYI:

I'm awaiting my distributor log-in from the wholesaler. It seems the fellow who processes the new distributor applications has gone away to a trade show this week and mine is half finished sitting on his desk :roll: . I have someone else looking after it now and I should be able to confirm pricing and place the order in a day or two.

Helen

Update:

Got my order today from Vargo Outdoors:

2 - Fuel bottles with safety valve @ $15 each = 30
1 - Multi-disc @ 7.50
1 - Trangia 25-8 UL HA @ $125.00
2 - sporks @ 9.95 each = $19.90
TOTAL = $182.40US

Was sent via USPS from Lewisburg PA, USA ($21.20US paid by Vargo).
Customs Declaration was marked 'Backpacking Gear' Value of $20
No duty was levied to me.

Sweeeet!

I am thinking of getting a Gas Burner as well.
Helen...

Back