• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Tupperware Kayaks

andreas

Paddler
Hi guys and girls,

If you would be in the market for a plastik kayak for around $2000 what would you buy?
It should have lots of storage, rudder/skeg doesn't matter. 16-18' length and shouldn't have the design of a barge.

thanks,

Andreas

Andreas, Daren and I both made suggestions in this thread and I know Dave Barrie and DarrenM both have CD Sirrocco's which are similarly designed as well.

Brad

Suggestions... Hmmm

I've become quite enamoured of the Valley boats of late.

Here are a couple of suggestions.

http://www.valleyseakayaks.com/aquanauthvpoly.htm

http://www.valleyseakayaks.com/aquanautclubpoly.htm

http://www.valleyseakayaks.com/nordkapppoly.htm

I've not driven the top two, but I have played with the Poly Nordkapp. It is a wonderful boat, not as heavy as I had thought it would be, but VERY nice in the handling department with ample storage. I had it out in 20+ kts of wind and 2 ft seas and NO skeg was required as long as the wind was just forward of the beam. I had to drop the skeg a small amount while travelling down wind/down wave but I had expected to do that. Thing even surfs well.. caught waves like a racehorse and ran with them.

Without playing with the top two... this would be my choice of a poly boat.

I assume it's to do with the previous post about boat search for the girlfriend?
If she's 5'4 and 120 or anywhere near that ,the sirocco would be gigantic.
I have an Elaho(rudder model) and think it's a pretty capable boat with plenty of space for a 4 day trip+cart. Not too long ago i took out a girl of roughly same size as your gf in it as her first ever time kayaking on a windy day at deep cove and she felt totaly comfy in it.
I'd also look at a prijon Seayak, similar fit,better plastic.(but i hear it weathercocks hard unless you use the rudder).
Tempest 165? would be nice but i am iffy about their QC.

D'oh! sorry mixed up with waverider's post! :) but i still stick to my choices if the person in question is under 190 lbs

thanks guys,

the boat would be for me :D i really would like to get a SUV beater boat :wink:

i will see if i can sell my second take apart too and then i will go for a plastik "i don't care" kayak :lol:

cheers
andreas

Andrea's wrote: i will see if i can sell my second take apart too and then i will go for a plastik "i don't care" kayak

You know Andreas you open yourself up to a few jokes on that. But I for one am not going to say anything, ( I've used my freebie of the week)
:)

waverider said:
Andrea's wrote: i will see if i can sell my second take apart too and then i will go for a plastik "i don't care" kayak

You know Andreas you open yourself up to a few jokes on that. But I for one am not going to say anything, ( I've used my freebie of the week)
:)

Im working on my self restraint as well. That was tough one though....

Waverider: You know Andreas you open yourself up to a few jokes on that

don't you guys do that anyway? :roll:

Andreas: go for a Prijon/Wildwasser Seayak or Touryak!

I have the Seayak for years now and am quite happy with that kayak. This plastic boats can take a lot of rough handling: i was gluing anchorpads of an underdeckbag into the cockpit last week, had the kayak upside down on its shelf in the clubhouse, when all of a sudden, it tipped over and crashed down a t least a meter and a half on the concrete floor!:shock:

My hearth stopped beating for a minute, but the boat survived the fall only with a bended rudder blade, an easy thing to fix!:p

clubhousea.jpg

The clubhouse last saturday

clubhoused.jpg

My Seayak on its shelf

servus

:wink:

Willi

Hey, any idea how much the seayak really weights(fully rigged, i don't know how accurate the catalog listed weight is).

My Seayak including the rudder is not an exactley light kayak with 30 kilos.

Its a 1999 model, the latest model has a day hatch also.

Hope this helps,

:wink:

Willi

Andreas
i know out here on the east coast there are a lot of people going for the Tempest series from Wilderness systems....not certain how available they are to you....

now...just saw pix on playak.com about the new touring boats from OR2007......there is a 15.5 or 16' wildy boat coming out called the Zephyr....looks like it might be interesting too......hmmm...
r

The various WS Tempests are well-loved by many of the better Portland, OR paddlers. The designer lives out here, across the Columbia from me. Bet a free ride in one would be easy to get.

Yeah; the Tempest was second on my list when i bought the Chatham. a nice design.

Back