• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Underdeck bag ?

Ron,
It's just a rather crude and inelegant but effective means of storing a spare paddle securely on your front deck while making it readily available. Made of PVC waste tubes purchased cheaply from any Home Nightmare-type store. A contemporary of many DIY solutions and a predecessor of Paddlebritches. From what I understand it wasn't really Steve (Flatpick's) Invention but Karl (Otterslide's). Astoria Dave would know for sure.

Photos here: https://plus.google.com/photos/11103739 ... 5859874417

Thanks Jon! I've seen these plenty of times but didn't know the name association and was just hoping it was something new. I have the fabric variety and will be selling them, yet don't want those long PVC pipes either. Trying to find a good balance between split storage and the ability to stow a primary paddle for rescues. 2-3" sections of PVC pipe probably. Not wanting to divert this thread though.

Bravo to all that's been said in this thread regarding testing and practicing with whatever setup you go with. SOOO much more desirable to sort it all out before dumping over for reals.

chodups said:
Ron,
It's just a rather crude and inelegant but effective means of storing a spare paddle securely on your front deck while making it readily available. Made of PVC waste tubes purchased cheaply from any Home Nightmare-type store. A contemporary of many DIY solutions and a predecessor of Paddlebritches. From what I understand it wasn't really Steve (Flatpick's) Invention but Karl (Otterslide's). Astoria Dave would know for sure.

Photos here: https://plus.google.com/photos/11103739 ... 5859874417
One of the Shellbacks is the originator, for sure. Maybe Steve, maybe Karl. Been in use down here fifteen years??? Shellbacks is/was a PDX centric elite corps of ocean paddlers. Neil S. probably knows better.

chodups said:
Oh, so you own the C18 now. I spent a lot of time agonizing over this issue before I installed it and did a lot of testing before ever using it. I think it's solid and safe and installed the same system on my Tempest 170. Again I tested it a ton and have used it on many trips.

I understand that when stuff goes bad, bad things can happen but I am happy with my potential exposure here.

I don't do deckbags. I do keep my spare paddle on the front deck with Flatpick's Invention and bungies, map case and GPS. Back deck holds my helmet which is easy to detach and swim/paddle away from leaving a clean deck for self rescue. A prerequisite of any paddling footwear is that it either has no laces or can be pulled off without much effort in an entrapment scenario. This has a consequence on muddy beaches that I accept.

Yes, bought it off DarrenN last year and love it. I spent a lot of time practising with the system before I was satisfied that it wouldn't pose an entanglement issue during a wet exit. I too wear footwear without laces, but when I am on extended trips I do use a deck bag on the foredeck. I prefer to keep my aft deck mainly clear, only having a paddle float (I prefer the foam ones to the inflatable ones) and depending on the weather/visibility I will also have a kayalite mounted back there.

where do you carry the binoculars for reading the compass ?

:lol:

Lucky for me I can still see at that distance. It's the chart that is tricky. I wear a different prescription contact in each eye. I think it's called monovision? One for focusing at arm's length and the other for distance. Getting old is a bXtch.

chodups said:
where do you carry the binoculars for reading the compass ?

:lol:
Lucky for me I can still see at that distance. It's the chart that is tricky. I wear a different prescription contact in each eye. I think it's called monovision? One for focusing at arm's length and the other for distance. Getting old is a bXtch.

One thing about getting older is when your eyes develop cataracts - then you go for lens replacement surgery, they correct your vision you walk out with young eyes! I am now 20/20 and great reading vision to boot. No more glasses or contacts after 41 years - amazing.

west_coast_russ said:
One thing about getting older is when your eyes develop cataracts - then you go for lens replacement surgery, they correct your vision you walk out with young eyes! I am now 20/20 and great reading vision to boot. No more glasses or contacts after 41 years - amazing.
I know this is way off the original topic but did the opthomologist say how long this may last?

Terry

Back