• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Vancouver Island Kayak Storage?

Wild Realms

Hello all. I've been spending my winters living vicariously through all of your trip reports for years now, and figured I should join up.

I was wondering if anyone knows of anywhere that rents out storage space for kayaks on Vancouver Island (from Nanaimo and South)? There was a thread a few years back for Vancouver (city) storage places, but if I can avoid driving through the big city traffic with a huge boat, that'd be ideal!
I've got a 5.73m (19 foot) long Current Designs Expedition.

Thanks all!

Storing a kayak is always a challenge; even if it is less than 15'.

For those who do not want to prevail on friends, I may be open to sharing the rental of a 20' shipping container at Island Self Storage in Coombs, BC. Note that the list of self-storage places that offer sea cans is pretty short. The list of those that rent at this price is even shorter. I know because I've been needing this service for a few years now.

There is certainly room for multiple boats plus paddling gear in a 20' sea can. Ideally, sharing the monthly charges among more people reduces everyone's cost as well. This kind of thing where trust is required between several parties is always a delicate undertaking, but it can be done.

Certainly no one has to throw in with me. If you can put together your own group of trusted associates, run with the idea. I am not affiliated with Island Self Storage and have no stake in recommending them. I have found them to be a solid service provider.

Thank you for the detailed response and the potential offer to share a unit. I believe I have come up with a solution that will work for me (and that will not require slinging my boat beneath my nephew's treehouse). As you pointed out, it is difficult to find reasonably priced storage, so I appreciate you sharing your knowledge. Hopefully this thread is of use to someone else and you can find someone to split the cost of your unit!

Storing a kayak is always a challenge; even if it is less than 15'.

For those who do not want to prevail on friends, I may be open to sharing the rental of a 20' shipping container at Island Self Storage in Coombs, BC. Note that the list of self-storage places that offer sea cans is pretty short. The list of those that rent at this price is even shorter. I know because I've been needing this service for a few years now.

There is certainly room for multiple boats plus paddling gear in a 20' sea can. Ideally, sharing the monthly charges among more people reduces everyone's cost as well. This kind of thing where trust is required between several parties is always a delicate undertaking, but it can be done.

Certainly no one has to throw in with me. If you can put together your own group of trusted associates, run with the idea. I am not affiliated with Island Self Storage and have no stake in recommending them. I have found them to be a solid service provider.
Hi
Moving to the island this may with my wife and two kayaks. Do you still have sea can storage and do you have the room for two boats?

Back