• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Vancouver island, planning a 5 week trip Late Spring 2013

dajaga

I know this is a bit early, but I am planning a 4-5 week trip on the east coast of Vancouver island.
I have never done canoeing/kayaking before. But I have had done some camping in my life.
I was thinking trying to go from Nanaimo orparksville up to Hornby/denman island and up past comox and back down.
Now I do have camping equipment so I don't really need any of that, but I will need a canoe or a kayak.
I have probably 1800-2200 for the boat and paddles.

Anyone familiar with Vancouver island and have paddled along it. Does this sound too ambitious for a newbie paddler.
I have been thinking of doing this for a while, and late spring/early summer will probably be the time I can do it.

Also I have a dog (70lbs) that I would love to take a long with, I got leashes and long line so she won't get far when I am ashore, any of you guys have a good experience taking your dog with you on a long trip?
Thanks

Re: Vancouver island, planning a 5 week trip Late Spring 201

I would recommend taking a paddle canada certified course at least to level 2. The course will give you some reference so you will know if you have the skills and physical fitness to paddle on east side Vancouver Island for 4- 5 weeks.

Dog and kayak will not work. How will you carry gear and food and dog food and dog in a kayak? How will you maintain water tight integrity? How will you keep the dog from moving around and causing upset?

The dog does not belong in wilderness areas. I don't care how well trained it is; my experience with other peoples dogs in wilderness areas is that it is ALWAYS a problem. Noise; getting into my food; potential for conflict with bears, cougars, and my boot; hassles for marine and avian wildlife (East Vancouver Island is major bird way). Where does the dog sleep when it rains cats and dogs? Do the dog a favour and leave it at home.

Dajaga,

Welcome to the site.

While I don't totally disagree with some of Kens points, I take in mind what Dave said to me after my first post on the site.. " Ken is just being Ken, it's just how he is."

I miss Dave, his friendly advice and just how awesome of a guy he is. This site has so many awesome people, they share their views and concerns in a friendly way and then there is Ken.

I would love to read about and see photos from your trip when you are done. Canoe if your are dead set on bringing your dog. Kayak if you decide to leave the dog at home. I would borrow or rent a canoe and see how the dog does in it first off and then add on how adverse weather would complicate it all. Once you decide if your dog is going or not then you can start making the necessary planning.

To everyone who is so awesome on this site, I apologize for speaking out against Ken. To Ken, not so much.

Sorry glc, but Ken is an extremely experienced kayaker and outdoorsman who's thoughts and advice on matters related to that should be weighed very, very carefully. Most especially by one who is contemplating embarking on cold and potentially dangerous waters.

The potential for upset is high with a startled 70# animal and so great care and foresight should be undertaken before attempting a journey as ambitious as this. As the waters are always frigid (ie 10C or so average), what measures will or can be taken to self rescue and thermally protect?

The OP reads like a troll to me- 5 wks, 100 mile trip, dog, no paddling experience, etc etc.

JohnAbercrombie said:
The OP reads like a troll to me- 5 wks, 100 mile trip, dog, no paddling experience, etc etc.

+1. My first thought exactly. :big_thumb

Is the guy Trolling? I don't see why, but I am a bit naive when it comes to people being deceitful.

If the guys desires are real it is up to him to decide if he brings his dog not someone like Ken.

I agree Ken is intelligent and as far as his outdoors skills are concerned he could be the most knowledgeable guy around, his social skills seem to be that of a cheese grater.

I would take this guys wet 70lb dog sharing a campsite over a pretentious know-it-all any day of the week. I hope Ken doesn't act in public or out in the wilderness the way he reads on here.

Pleeeease, no personal attack! You can disagree or agree, but this awfully sounds like personal attack to me. Respect OP's thread PLEASE.

For the dog along the wilderness trip, Ken's input abou the animal is something we have to consider whenever we bring them to the wilderness.
5weeks? Why NOT?? that is laxually to me, you can explore every bits of coves and villages and throw some hiking and other activities there. You can always extend the distance whenever you feel you can do it safely.

You gotta budget safety gear specially immaersion gear (good DRY SUIT) in spring trip to V.I.
Good luck planning! It is not too early to plan, you have a lot to reserch and practice and dream about your trip.

sushiy said:
Pleeeease, no personal attack! You can disagree or agree, but this awfully sounds like personal attack to me. Respect OP's thread PLEASE.

Wise words. Please heed them. Thank you.

Yes please -- no personal attacks.

I've come across a few people paddling with dogs and don't have any issue with it. Who am I to complain about what someone else is doing if it's not bothering or creating a problem for me?

For a dog that size, I'd recommend the Clipper SEA-1 -- it's a boat that you can paddle with confidence in relatively rough conditions and roomy enough that a 70lb (well behaved) dog should be quite comfortable.

As far as the trolling comments go -- who cares? It's a reasonable topic that may result in some good discussion. If you disagree with the topic for whatever reason that's fine but let's keep our responses on a respectful level. Thanks.

And thanks to Sushiy and Andy -- I'm going to be a few days between posts so I appreciate your actions.

Gotta side with Ken on the dog issue. My favourite dog in wildlife stories: Fluffy sitting on a deck of a boat in the Broken Group, down swoops an eagle, couple on boat watch Fluffy fly away. Fluffy fetching sticks in the ocean, a sea lion passes by, Fluffy and stick gone forever. Fluffy walking in the middle of the family on a trail, Fluffy is swooped up by a cougar.

Not likely with a 70-lb dog, but then it starts working the other way and the dog becomes the issue. My least favourite dog in wildlife story: On the beach at a little island off Hornby Island. A dinghy stops to let a big dog out for a walk. Owner drops off dog and leaves. Dog finds seals on rocks, starts ripping them apart. Shocked couple watch in horror as six to twelve seals are killed. Later dog owner returns, dog leaves island. Not even sure if owner is aware what happened.

This warning is currently on most coastal provincial park web pages in Clayoquot Sound:

Wolf advisory for Flores Island Provincial Park - There has been incidents involving wolves killing dogs in this park. BC Parks is strongly advising park visitors to not bring their dogs to the park.

Probably good advice for any location. I love dogs, and most camping dogs seem harmless enough and nothing bad happens. I'm sure it's viewed as security when a dog chases a bear or growls at something unseen in the woods. It's not black and white. But the odds of a clash with wildlife increase substantially with a dog in tow. It's like another small incremental encroachment on wildlife, a drip in the bucket that eventually makes it overflow. We should be working hard to minimize our impact when we visit, and supplying Fluffy food or introducing a domesticated predator won't help the cause of creatures working hard to make a living with what's left.

Dan_Millsip said:
As far as the trolling comments go -- who cares? It's a reasonable topic that may result in some good discussion. If you disagree with the topic for whatever reason that's fine but let's keep our responses on a respectful level. Thanks.

I didn't think that mentioning the possibility of a troll was 'disrespectful', but the warning has been noted.
I do think it is 'disrespectful' for people equipped with computers and internet connections to ask completely open-ended questions without doing any research on their own, but I may be 'sensitive' about this.

Back to the topic at hand:

Please carry on with suggestions for structuring a 100 mile trip over a 5 week period!

dajaga said:
I have never done canoeing/kayaking before. ...I was thinking trying to go from Nanaimo orparksville up to Hornby/denman island and up past comox and back down.

Thanks
Nanaimo to those island and up past Comox AND back down can be 200miles, isn't it?. 40-50 miles/wk.
4-5days paddling day, and weather/rest day, 10miles/day with other activitys here and there in canoe (probably not the top of the line fast canoe, and not kayak) for complete newbie.
He can always extend the distance if he feels like.
I could not think doing 10miles X straight 3days or more when I was complete newbie. After 5 years of constant paddling, 15miles X straight 5 days trip is still upper side of my comfort. I don't know if I can do it ( 15nmX5 days) in canoe with 70pounds dog on top of all the gears. Maybe I will be comfortable 4weeks of trips(8miles X 4 days, 2-3 days weather/rest/ laundry/shopping), and 1 week to play with whatever I feel like at the end of the trip.

Cheers

To Sushiy, Dan and all the other awesome people who make up the site and who also make the local kayaking community such a great place. I apologize for speaking ill about Ken on this page.

It seemed it was a new person asking a decent question and getting a standard Ken response. I do not enjoy this community forum when Ken enters into any discussion. I feel this page was hijacked as soon as Ken replied, like I feel he has done on so many others. Some choose to ignore him and others converse/battle with him. I don't mind the people who go head to head with him, I'm just always wondering why the community doesn't call him out?

I do not know Ken personally, nor at this time do I wish to. Everything I read from him is like a dark stain on this site. He single handedly defecates on pleasant and interesting people who make up this community who wish to share their experiences. If I was out kayaking and saw him doing what he does on here. I would call him out and confront him. I know there would be good people like yourselves who would step in to ease the tension.

I have always been an honest person with no desire to play politics. If I don't say anything then how can I hope to see anything change?

No personal attacks. A great policy.
Watching someone turn a great site into their own personal dumping ground?

If by me saying this upsets anyone, I truly apologize. I am sorry to Ken if this seems like an attack to him. You are a smart guy with a lot of insight, I do not understand why you go about things the way you do, but you do.

An alternative for dajaga:

* Base camp in Nanaimo e.g. 'Living Forest' campground.
* Join the Nanaimo Paddlers - a friendly, helpful group - with 2 day trips per week plus camping trips
* Add more trips if you wish
* Once confident/competent, take off on your original trip

I do not think taking a dog on your first trip is a good or safe idea. It is not safe you and it is not safe for your dog.
You might need time on the water with the dog. You need to learn how the dog will react to any rescue condition. Will your dog panic and swim for shore? How far can your dog swim?
Will your dog become sea sick? If you have to choose, will you save yourself, or drown trying to save your dog? Do you have any idea how to rescue a panicked dog in the water? Does your dog love swimming in cold water (like after ice out)?
I you might need to hire a guide!

Roy

Back