Varnish

Blackhawk

Paddler
I wanted to get the boat in the water while the weather was warm and didn't get as much varnish on as I wanted, so I was looking to do a few more coats as a winter project. I also wanted to take care of a few minor imperfections in the varnish.
The boat is in the basement where the temperature is about 70 degrees with the furnace down there. We actually keep the basement door open so the heat comes up to the rest of the house.
Aside from sanding with 220 grit paper, anything else I should do? Clean it with something? What about scuff marks on the keel?
Thanks.

JohnAbercrombie

Paddler
I'd probably give it a wash with soapy water and rinse with clean water. Let it dry. Scuff sand.
Varnish.
70 deg should be warm enough to do an excellent job.

You aren't worried about the varnish odours in the house?

Blackhawk

Paddler
I'd probably give it a wash with soapy water and rinse with clean water. Let it dry. Scuff sand.
Varnish.
70 deg should be warm enough to do an excellent job.

You aren't worried about the varnish odours in the house?
We shall see after the first coat. It's 19 degrees out so opening the windows isn't an option. I may hold off until an unseasonably warm day. In theory, supposed to have a few in February.

Blackhawk

Paddler
A couple of varnish questions.
1. The varnish seems a little thick. About the consistency of honey. This is too thick? If I thin it, should I use Petit thinner as the can says, or is any thinner ok?
2. I put a black "racing stripe" on the hull below the deck chine. After varnishing I realized I should have put on the stripe AFTER I varnished, not before. Ideas on how to fix this? Let it go for now? Maybe fix it next winter?