• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Video of a rock garden rescue in Maine

Peter-CKM

Paddler
This popped up on paddling.com message board. 12ish minute video of a rock garden rescue in Casco Bay, ME, ending with a mayday call and a motor boat transporting the paddler to shore to go to hospital. Camera catches much of the action from start to finish.

In looking at the area and conditions, it reminds me of many of the areas I play in here in Northern California on a relatively mellow day. The paddlers were well prepared and appeared well trained, and it is good to get a reminder than even low swell days can be dangerous and to see the challenges they had to overcome to xomplete the rescue. Seems like something that could just as easily happen out here.

Lucky he stayed conscious and got flushed out: no one else threatened and everyone prepared.

Reactions: CPS
Thanks for sharing.

Pretty significant injuries from a fairly benign sea state, demonstrates the power of water against rock.

Someone I shared it with has suggested that a scoop rescue could have been an option, should the rescuing boat not been immediately to hand. That would have got the paddler out of the water and allowed better monitoring.

The lung injury had potential to get real bad, real quick.

I'm sure this will be a data point for scenario training for many of us!

I had a nasty lung injury in 2003 and if I get too stressed out today it can still come back and haunt me.
Making it feel like I am struggling for air again.
There are some injuries you don't fully recover from, and that is one for me.

I was impressed by the kayaker who was filming. He recognized the need for extra lifting power on the big boat and deftly transferred on board to assist. This let them complete the rescue quickly and hopefully with less injury to the casualty. Full marks for saving the F**k until the casualty had left the scene and out of earshot.

Back