W Ballenas Island - IT'S DONE!

mick_allen

Paddler & Moderator
I just saw that a large proportion of the funds necessary have been raised to save West Ballenas Island for BC Parks, but there was not very much time given or left to complete the last 12% necessary. Just until Nov 17th, but it's possible.

01-WestBallenas.jpg

here's the story:
and here's the campaign and where to donate:
https://bcparksfoundation.ca/projects/enhance/west-ballenas-island/

00-Ballenas_Islands2.jpg

I'll be throwing some money down for this great possibility. This island [as well as Ballenas proper] would be a great stepping stone [Texada > Lasqueti > Ballenas > Vancouver Is] across the strait and well worth having as part of a larger trail [there are sites on all those other islands] back and forth between the mainland and Vancouver Island. [Up to now it's just been 'stealth' on Ballenas].

Last edited:

alexsidles

Paddler
Donated.

I once camped on South Ballenas during an Inside Passage solo. I’m not sure it was legal then, and I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t be legal now. West Ballenas would be an absolute jewel of a campsite.

Alex

drahcir

Paddler
I am a kayaker from the USA and have visited West Ballenas several times on day trips when launching from Schooner Cove. Note that we from the USA can also donate via the link given by Mick, a worthy cause for sure.

JohnAbercrombie

Paddler
I donated yesterday, after getting an email from SISKA.
SISKA (the local sea kayak club in Victoria) has made a club donation, using the money that would normally pay for the (big) Christmas party.

BC Marine Trails mentioned this fundraising effort in a recent newsletter.
Ballenas BCMTN.JPG

It would be good if BCMTN put some more of their 'weight' behind the Ballenas campaign - money, something on the main BCMTN webpage, email to membership, press release, etc...

JohnAbercrombie

Paddler
Here's the email that was circulated to SISKA members:
The BC Parks Foundation has a campaign to purchase West Ballenas Island, off Nanoose, and add it to the BC Parks system.

The island has sensitive ecosystems and is virtually undisturbed by grazing or human impacts. The campaign deadline is Nov 17 so there are just days left to secure the island from development. The foundation has already raised almost $1.5M of the $1.7M purchase price with only $224,000 to go.

If it becomes a park, kayakers can access it for camping and day trips. BC Marine Trails is endorsing the purchase of West Ballenas Island. The need is urgent and a number of kayak clubs are donating funds.

This is partly because of safety, as the purchase of West Ballenas Island would mean that a campsite would be available to make longer crossings to Jedediah or Lasqueti islands safer as well as to increase the capacity of the coast for kayaking.

The SISKA Executive voted unanimously last night to contribute $1300 to the campaign, using funds that were planned for the SISKA Christmas party, which cannot happen this year. We hope that you will consider making an individual donation in addition to this, if that is feasible for you.

Below is the link for Donations which qualify for charitable tax credits too!
https://bcparksfoundation.ca/projects/enhance/west-ballenas-island/

Below is a link to a recent CBC story:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/b-c-conservationists-buy-island-1.5793459

JohnAbercrombie

Paddler
Here's the article in today's (Victoria) Times-Colonist:
https://www.timescolonist.com/news/...-island-for-park-as-deadline-looms-1.24238636

One possible 'cloud on the horizon' for kayakers, from the pop. 330 Nanoose First Nation:

The island and the entire archipelago have historical significance for the Snaw-naw-as people, also known as Nanoose First Nation.
Several years ago, the nation repatriated remains that had been disturbed by the Department of National Defence on a nearby island, said Nanoose First Nation councillor Brent Edwards, but members have no access to the privately owned West Ballenas.
The nation supports the foundation’s efforts to purchase the island, and looks forward to gaining access to the land and having a say in the management plan, Edwards said.

mick_allen

Paddler & Moderator
Well I don't really know,
but in perspective to not having the real potential of it's use and retention, I remember that old Monty Python sketch "luxury, I tell you sheer luxury!"

It's a significant factor in all [all] the sites that we use, but it's just one of many, many factors . . . and with the myriad of responses possible, some will be lost or affected of course . . . but many will not.
Fundamentally, I thinks it's a one-liner: 'getting sites'. . . and dealing with the details later.

It would be great to save this site.

mick_allen

Paddler & Moderator
I threw a few hundred it's way as I haven't spent much on my hobby this year - and many others must have done the same . . . because 24 hours ago the remaining amount to be raised was $188,000 and checking right now only $92,000 is left to reach the goal!

It looks like it will happen everyone! - another amazing step along the way.

alexsidles

Paddler
Bravo, Mick. Paddlers have been racking up some wins lately for kayak access in the Salish Sea. I know you’re only one part of the effort, but you’re a big part.

Alex

mick_allen

Paddler & Moderator
I was just a little bitty part like all the rest of us who all supported and achieved this amazing feat. There obviously were some big players as well. I'm just so chuffed about this.

Jurfie

Paddler
Thanks for bringing it to our attention! Every contribution helps, and it clearly did this time. Kudos to everyone who made this happen! :thumbsup: