• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

WANTED/ISO: deck compass

SarahHargrave

Hello. I am looking to buy a deck compass similar to the photo below. Hoping to get it out on the water ASAP. Let me know what you've got. Thanks.

Screen Shot 2021-06-03 at 11.35.14 AM.png

REI used to carry them. Don’t know if their 20% off sale is still on.

Note: I’ve heard that if you mount it on your deck, over a stowed dry bag that contains metal camp gear, you’ll be surprised that North is always the same offset from your boat, no matter which way the boat is pointed. Just Say’n.

REI used to carry them. Don’t know if their 20% off sale is still on.

Note: I’ve heard that if you mount it on your deck, over a stowed dry bag that contains metal camp gear, you’ll be surprised that North is always the same offset from your boat, no matter which way the boat is pointed. Just Say’n.
Yah I think the cost of getting it across the border won't make it worth my while. Thanks anyway.

Re having the compass near metal: good point.
Note to self: don't put tent poles near compass.

The price for the compass at Western Canoe and Kayak seems pretty reasonable to me. I bought a Ritchie kayaker compass and tie down kit for my wife's CD Solstice GTS this past winter and paid more than that for just the compass.

Reactions: CPS
Re having the compass near metal: good point.
Note to self: don't put tent poles near compass.
My suggestion: Do some experiments. Aluminum tent poles (or an aluminum cooking pot) shouldn't affect your compass.

The Seattle Sports deck compass is available at a few other online locations if Western Canoe doesn't work out.

Reactions: CPS
Too bad the border isn’t open. Many more delivery opportunities then.

Don’t know what exactly was in the camp bag that affected the compass - could have been cutting tools or green fuel canister.

Not for Sale but If you are coming through Seattle I have a Suunto Orca Pioneer that you can borrow.

Too bad the border isn’t open. Many more delivery opportunities then.
The border is wide open for merchandise deliveries, so that's not an issue.
Though the shipping costs tend to be very high for cross border purchases.
Examples:
USPS Priority Flat Rate Box is now $50 USD or thereabouts.
UPS and FedEx Ground tack on exorbitant 'brokerage fees' which can be $50 or more.

Many many times I've abandoned a 'Cart' at a US (or UK/European) online store after finding that the shipping costs were just too high to justify the purchase, for me.

And most Canadians still pine for the 'good old days' when our dollar was at par (or better) compared to the USD.

Yes, but you have many US friends who would be happy to bring presents. It does run both ways. I just paid nearly $50 shipping for a NorthWater product - 1/3rd the total purchase,

Not for Sale but If you are coming through Seattle I have a Suunto Orca Pioneer that you can borrow.
That is very kind of you, thank you. But I am hoping to get one that I can hang onto. And also I won't be near Seattle anytime soon. Too bad though as it looks like a nice one that sadly is no longer in production.

Too bad though as it looks like a nice one that sadly is no longer in production.
Suunto Orca is my favourite - keep your eyes on the used stuff sites online - they come up from time to time. For now, my advice is to 'bite the bullet' and just buy a new Seattle Sports compass.
Once you have two deck compasses, you have an excuse for another boat: "I needed a place to put the compass!!" :)

Suunto Orca is my favourite - keep your eyes on the used stuff sites online - they come up from time to time. For now, my advice is to 'bite the bullet' and just buy a new Seattle Sports compass.
Once you have two deck compasses, you have an excuse for another boat: "I needed a place to put the compass!!" :)
I'm curious why you like the Suunto Orca best? I haven't used a deck compass before so don't have any frame of reference.

I'm curious why you like the Suunto Orca best? I haven't used a deck compass before so don't have any frame of reference.
It's nice and compact and displays in degrees without large N,NE,E etc markings.
But the Seattle Sports model is very serviceable and is used by a lot of paddlers. You will be fine with that one.

Off topic: I cannot understand the popularity of deck compasses permanently mounted forward of the bow hatch-= for me, that's 'miles away' and I would have zero chance of reading them even on a good day, let alone with glasses covered in salt spray. I like to have the compass close!

BTW, it can be handy to string a couple of short 'auxiliary deck lines' just for clipping the compass attachment to, rather than using the perimeter deck safety line. Tensioning those lines with the compass strap/shock cord can make them hard to grab. Any light cord will do for the compass (and map case) attachments.

One problem I came across with a close mounted deck compass was - if you have a deck bag between the compass and cockpit, the bag can block your view of the compass. Also, some kayaks have a specific compass mount location built in.

The consideration might be “aiming”. Think of aiming a short barrel pistol over a long barrel rifle where the front/rear sights are some distance from each other. Not saying that increment in accuracy is really necessary or really exists, or makes much of a difference over the distance usually covered in a kayak that's being pushed around a little. For me it’s, “Over there” instead of a bearing down to the single digit degrees.

Joy has a semi-permanent one on her Fathom LV. The compass itself can be removed but the mount is screwed on the deck. I have a SeaRover like in the photo of the first post. But I usually carry a hand-held I peer through to aim and a monocular that has a built-in magnetic bearing read out.

If I had a kayak with one of those recessed compass mounting locations on the bow, I’d just have to put a compass there - just for the cool factor - even if I’d have to find a teenager to read the bearing for me :)

Last edited:
Back