• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

WestCoastPaddler Site Re-Design - Call for Input!

I look forward to the new site, I don't post a lot but i visit more than once a day
I have always found the site to be helpful and full of good people.
and of course you should be able to make something from this site I cant imagine the work that goes into it
I do have a question though do advertisers just pay a fee like in a newspaper or is based on times the ads are clicked (I have never understood this )
Thanks mike :big_thumb

Mike, there are several models that websites use for advertising -- the two you mention are the most common.

Click-through ads (paying a fee for each time the ad is clicked) is very common online -- the plus side being that a person clicking on an ad is more likely to interact and possibly make a purchase from a particular website because the person actually chose to go there. It also allows companies to purchase specific dollar amounts of "impressions". This is what google ads are based on.

Because we're only going to allow advertising from paddling related businesses, our advertising model is a bit more specific and we could implement a click-through system or a monthly rate. We haven't worked the details out entirely yet but it's likely to be a combination of both.

Just thought I'd put in my 2c worth (or should that be 0c worth now we're rounding down :? ) & hope it's of some use.
A few other sites I look at carry ad's, what they do is, ad's are displayed usually in between posts (say every 3rd or 4th post) to anyone not logged in. However, once a site member has logged in, the ads are either much less intrusive or not there at all.
Hope that helps.

Kermode, I've been to sites like that and personally don't like that style of advertising -- seems like you're getting spanked for not signing up. Ads shouldn't be utilized as punishments -- if relevant to your pursuits, there are benefits to advertisements.

The tactic of placing disruptive ads in discussions does nothing to encourage me to sign up to a site -- it mostly annoys me. I don't want to limit the value or enjoyment of our forums to someone just because they're not inclined to set up an account. There may be areas or functions of the site that will be limited to logged-in members but it won't be for reading forum discussions. The goal of the forums is not to rack up as many members that we can, it's to allow the discussions to be useful, educational, and helpful (and sometimes entertaining) to all who read them.

I'll float this past the other guys but truthfully, I doubt that they'd disagree with what I've written here.

Dan_Millsip said:
The main focus of the new site will be the Trip Reports section.

Hmmm...will there be closer alignment with BC Marine Trails? Now that would be interesting.

Trip Reports are certainly a bread and butter category and I can't wait to see what you guys come up with. Currently, the site divides Trip Reports (which anyone can submit) and Paddling Locations (which are longer, more "official" reports that only the moderators can submit). The Paddling Locations tab has been inactive for some years and though the reports it contains are excellent, I can see how much of a burden it would be to rely on a small handful of people to populate that section of the site with fresh content.

A better organized Trip Reports section would certainly help, because there is a real treasure trove there of advice, photos, GPS coordinates, etc. Time to hive off the "Where did you paddle?" discussions, which are fun but make searching complicated.

Looking forward to the refresh.

Cheers,
Andrew

Congratulations you guys! You've all put in a lot of work over the past several years in order to bring this site to the ripe stage that it is! Go for it! :big_thumb

Some random comments...

WCP has a simple, clean design and high level of functionality. Hopefully that will be retained in the new site. Too many sites these days are loaded with "website bling" with little purpose.

Personally, I don't like ads thrust in my face. Even relevant ones. Yet I seek out and read the weekly flyers that come to the house. So perhaps the new site could create a nice reading place to go and peruse the ads? I suspect it would be a very frequented section if the layout was interesting and the ads/info indeed relevant to local paddlers.

Can Google Earth and Google Earth Tours be easily integrated in the site for people making a kayak trip report? It's fun to play back a kayak trip as a Google Earth Tour.

Would it make sense to create a special "Technical" section? Complete with write-ups, photos and videos. Similar to trip report idea but for anything related to paddling expertise. It could eventually become a major repository.

Please do not add advertisements that drop Cookies, especially cookies that track locations.
This is one of the few sites that drops only 1 or maybe 2 cookies.
Thanks!

Roy

Dan,
Can't think of anything here you have not already covered, except maybe a few links, maybe in a "links" section, where you may find a site for tidal/current charts, I now use a free one, pretty cool, and world wide. Also a weather link to "environment Harper", now called Weather Canada?? Mayvbe a few others for local area, or ?? Just more utilitarian stuff... Also, maybe a vehicle for other paddlers to add more to paddling locations, as some mentioned for reference for future trips, personally, I have used these extensively, they are very accurate and informative. P.S. I WILL NOT camp overnite on Darcy!! It was creepy enuf just on a day trip!
Great job! Can't wait to see the new and improved!!

Enjoying the conversation so far, and like what I hear Dan.

My two (useless) bits:

#1 I am still using wallpaper from December 2012. I know finding and producing may take time. Would it be possible to simply reuse the pics according to the month? The wallpaper was advertising too! People would see my desktop and exclaim, then check out the site.

#2 A dating forum is still required. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Finding a mate when you are in love with your kayak and the journeys it takes you on is not easy. SWFK looking for SMK age 40 sumpin to 50 sumpin. Must paddle - training provided if required. Prefers salt water journeys and camping on beaches... :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :big_thumb

blacksheep said:
I look forward to the new site, I don't post a lot but i visit more than once a day I have always found the site to be helpful and full of good people, and of course you should be able to make something from this site I can't imagine the work that goes into it

DITTO :D

SheilaP said:
#2 A dating forum is still required. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Finding a mate when you are in love with your kayak and the journeys it takes you on is not easy. SWFK looking for SMK age 40 sumpin to 50 sumpin. Must paddle - training provided if required. Prefers salt water journeys and camping on beaches... :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :big_thumb

LOL :D

I have often thought that one would find it much easier if there was a slot? available to type in what one is looking for...Desolation Sound...Indian Arm...Stave Lake. There might be something like that now but haven't yet been able to find it. When planning a trip it is handy to be able to see what other paddlers have contributed. Thanks...

Thanks for the information, Astoria Dave and Dan...I should have asked years ago. Great website!

Been browsing using a Samsung tablet for a while. Know when WCP metamorphoses it will have a tablet friendly option. For now, however, there are some frustrations.

Others using tablets might consider downloading Google's Chrome in lieu of the browser which came with their tablet. Has several improvements over the stock Samsung browser. One I really appreciate: when your finger taps a cluster of hot links, an enlarged image of the cluster momentarily appears,, highlighting the one your tap actually activated. If you meant to hit an adjacent one, you can retap in the enlargement and off you go. A real kindness for the blunt fingertip crowd.

Call me Bluntman ... or, was that Ahab? :D

No frustrations here, with my Ipad. Actually, it is the preferred way of connecting to WCP forum in a reclined position by the running woodstove and glass of wine.

So, for the WCP addicts my recommendation is Ipad. :big_thumb :big_thumb :big_thumb :big_thumb

greg0rn said:
So, for the WCP addicts my recommendation is Ipad. :big_thumb :big_thumb :big_thumb :big_thumb

Agreed; I use my iPad almost exclusively now for browsing. It isn't without its quirks (no Flash, embedded YouTube videos don't work, etc.), but it is quite comfortable.

I may try a Windows tablet in the future (probably a Surface Pro), but so far I'm happy with my iPad.

Back