• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Whaler Islet

Nick Heath

Paddler
Whaler Islet is a small, dry patch of sand and some rock between Vargas and Flores Islands and seems like an odd place to camp - one of BC's real desert islands. Certainly, you would choose to stay only in calm weather, knowing that if the wind rose overnight you could get a bit stuck here. Still, it has special charm and there's nothing to block your views!

49° 13.532'N 126° 3.909'W

630_whaler_islet_land_1.jpg

I've only stopped there briefly for lunch - it was my first stop on land after finally getting out of Cow Bay where I was 'weathered in' for 5 days a couple of years ago. It's a lovely island, although probably doesn't offer much in the way of shelter. Incoming swells seem to wrap around it and attack from all sides, and the top of the island, composed entirely of sand, offers no shelter from any sort of wind. Would be a great place to escape to in good weather, but only if the forecast was very favourable.

We had the same thoughts as Mark, three years ago -- could not see getting ashore without taking a thrashing, even with the low swell extant that day. We also almost got bounced by sneaker waves crossing the spit inside Blunden (I think that's the name) coming back from Flores on our way to Whaler (and thence to Vargas). Bet the sunset is incredible there. Same afternoon a couple hot rod low-flying airplanes from the air service in Tofino buzzed us at about 20 meters ... that was tres bizarre!

Yes an amazing site.

Island consists of a treed rocky outcropping on either end, joined by 200 m of sand dunes.

Beach camping is possible, but can be challenging at Spring Tides to avoid damaging sensative grass vegetation which holds dune together.

There is no outhouse.

There is no water.

I have encountered wolf tracks / scat on this island. They will swim from other nearby islands.

Note: please be sensitive when visiting to avoid damaging grass ecosystem. Use pre-existing trails that cross the dunes, rather than cut through an untouched area. Due to the sensitive nature of this site, I do not feel it is suitable for LARGE groups of people. Small groups are able to minimize their impact.

Astoriadave said:
We also almost got bounced by sneaker waves crossing the spit inside Blunden
Yeah Dave, there can be quite a zipper between Whaler and BARTLETT (Blunden is the other good sized island about 3NM to the SE. Bartlett is entirely Indian Reserve (Private).

1050_mcneilwhalerfromair09small_1.jpg

Back